Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Peter Coppens <pc...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/28 23:31:54 UTC

FOP Encrypted files can not be opened with Mac's Preview?

Fop fans,

We are currently using, on customer request, fop¹s encryption features to
disallow e.g. copying of text.

Works fine when the pdf is opened in Acrobat but does not work in MacOs¹s
Preview (10.5.something)

The only thing I can think of is that Preview might have dropped 40bit RC4
support for opening PDF¹s. A security updated was provided ( CVE-2008-0994 -
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1249) where Apple seems to have removed 40bit
RC4 support for encrypting PDF¹s. Nothing is mentioned about opening though.

Anyway, I guess this is more of a MacOS question, but perhaps some fop-users
reader ran into this earlier...hence my question on this list.

Thanks,

Peter

Re: FOP Encrypted files can not be opened with Mac's Preview?

Posted by Peter Coppens <pc...@gmail.com>.
> One tiny remark: is it deliberate that you specify the "-u" parameter
> without specifying a password, or is this a typo?
> If I do that here, the print and copy restrictions are applied, but no
> password is asked when opening the file. It has the same effect as
> omitting the '-u' parameter.
The idea is people can open the pdf without any password but can not e.g.
copy text from it.

> If I judge correctly, the change I committed (which Jeremias mentioned
> as a fix in Bugzilla 40557) could have something to do with it. Before
> that change, FOP generated two "/ID" entries in the trailer in case
> the document was encrypted, and this caused problems in earlier
> versions of Acrobat too...
>
> Can you confirm that the issue does not occur with FOP Trunk?
It does. Wonderful!

> Cheers
>
> Andreas

Many thanks indeed!

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On 29 Jan 2009, at 00:48, Peter Coppens wrote:

Hi Peter

> Kind of you to take the time to try this.
>
> I am on Preview Version 4.1 (469.4) on MacOs 10.5.6

Same here.

> FO is as simple as it gets I think
>
> Attached the pdf with fop 0.95...if it makes it through the list
> server.
> Rendered it with
> fop -u -noprint -nocopy -fo t2.fo -pdf t2.pdf

One tiny remark: is it deliberate that you specify the "-u" parameter
without specifying a password, or is this a typo?
If I do that here, the print and copy restrictions are applied, but no
password is asked when opening the file. It has the same effect as
omitting the '-u' parameter.

Note: if you don't specify an owner password '-o password', then FOP
generates a random one, so it will become rather difficult to get
around those restrictions. :-)

> It opens in Acrobat reader without further ado, but I get the
> password input
> screen of Preview

Same here with your PDF. I notice you are using FOP 0.95.
I think the news is good, since I must admit, I only tried FOP Trunk.

Posted by Peter Coppens <pc...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Kind of you to take the time to try this.

I am on Preview Version 4.1 (469.4) on MacOs 10.5.6

FO is as simple as it gets I think

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <fo:layout-master-set>
      <fo:simple-page-master master-name="pm" page-height="25cm"
                    page-width="20cm" margin-top="1cm"
                    margin-bottom="1cm" margin-left="1.5cm"
margin-right="1.5cm">
        <fo:region-body/>
      </fo:simple-page-master>
  </fo:layout-master-set>

  <fo:page-sequence master-reference="pm">
      <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
        <fo:block-container absolute-position="fixed" top="4cm" left="4cm" >
          <fo:block >
            <fo:inline>This is text</fo:inline>
          </fo:block>
        </fo:block-container>
    </fo:flow>
  </fo:page-sequence>
</fo:root>

Attached the pdf with fop 0.95...if it makes it through the list server.
Rendered it with
 fop -u -noprint -nocopy -fo t2.fo -pdf t2.pdf

It opens in Acrobat reader without further ado, but I get the password input
screen of Preview

Adding a password makes Acrobat ask for it and then open the file. Preview
refuses to open it even if the password is entered.

Thanks!

peter

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.