Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Juraj jiv <fa...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/15 09:44:41 UTC

Hbase region count and RS count for 2TB+

Hi all,
i read in documentation that max region count per region server should be
around 200. I unfortunately have currently 800 regions for RS.
Those tables are not presplitted (all handled by hbase), does manual
spliting helps in this case? hdfs fodler /hbase/data currently hold around
2.2TB of data and i have 4 region servers, is it enough or i need more RS?

Also will Hbase compact these tables automatically to have less regions?

Hbase version 0.96.1.1-cdh5.0.1
Thanks for any guidance.

JV

Re: Hbase region count and RS count for 2TB+

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
For your last question, compaction wouldn't reduce the number of regions.

Please take a look at HBASE-7403 for online merge.

Cheers

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
What is the value for hbase.hregion.max.filesize ?

Cheers

Posted by Juraj jiv <fa...@gmail.com>.
Hello all,
thanks for replies.
hbase.hregion.max.filesize is set to default size 1GB. I set it to 10GB as
recommended.

JV

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrey Stepachev <oc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Juraj jiv <fa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
So you have 3200 regions in total, and that means each region is about
650mb in size only (if you have 2.2 Tb in total), unless I'm missing
something? If that's the case your regions are probably way too small.

-Mikhail

> Hi all,
> i read in documentation that max region count per region server should be
> around 200. I unfortunately have currently 800 regions for RS.
> Those tables are not presplitted (all handled by hbase), does manual
> spliting helps in this case? hdfs fodler /hbase/data currently hold around
> 2.2TB of data and i have 4 region servers, is it enough or i need more RS?
>
> Also will Hbase compact these tables automatically to have less regions?
>
> Hbase version 0.96.1.1-cdh5.0.1
> Thanks for any guidance.
>
> JV

Michael Antonov