Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net> on 2013/04/01 18:45:18 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] git rebase vs git merge in your feature branch?

Hi Edison,

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013, at 06:36 PM, Edison Su wrote:
> Hi all,
>      I am trying to review some feature branches, when I see merge
>      requests coming from mailing list, one thing that makes code review
>      almost unrealistic is that, developers tend to use "git merge" to
>      master branch whenever rebase is needed. I don't know other people
>      really do review feature branch or not, if so, how to review a
>      feature branch, with several "merge branch "master""  on the feature
>      branch. I really don't find a better way to do that.
>     If, all we use "git rebase" to master branch, then the code review
>     will be much easier, at least, what kind of commits you did on the
>     feature branch can be easily identified. For example, I worked on
>     storage_refactor branch for a few months, with a lot of changes,
>     before sending out merge request, there are only less than 10 commits
>     on the branch, reviewer can use "git diff since..HEAD" to get all the
>     changes.
>    Should we advocate "git rebase" in
>    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Git?

Slightly OT - would you be interested in doing a Webinar or something to
help share your git expertise with folks who are new to contributing to
CloudStack and/or using git?

We'd probably draw an audience a bit larger than the immediate
CloudStack community, but that couldn't hurt.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

RE: [DISCUSS] git rebase vs git merge in your feature branch?

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
+1
I would be very much interested in learning :)