Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by makkhar <mk...@selectica.com> on 2007/07/25 13:28:33 UTC

Which field matched ?

This problem has been baffling me since quite some time now and has no
perfect solution in the forum !

I have 10 documents, each with 10 fields with "parameterName and
parameterValue". Now, When i search for some term and I get 5 hits, how do I
find out which paramName-Value pair matched ?

I am seeking an optimal solution for this. Explanation, highlighter etc are
some of the solutions. But not the best since highlighter would perform very
bad for wildcard queries and explanation is generally not the nice way of
doing this ! I am talking really large datasets here.

Any help, highly appreciated.

Re: Which field matched ?

Posted by makkhar <mk...@selectica.com>.

Currently, we use regular expression pattern matching to get hold of which
field matched. Again a pathetic solution since we have to agree upon the
subset of the lucene search and pattern matching. We cannot use Boolean
queries etc in this case.