Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Vijayendra Yadav <co...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/04 23:13:40 UTC

FLINK DATASTREAM Processing Question

Hi Team,

I have a generic Question.

Let's say I have 2 Actions to be taken on Flink DATASTREAM (Kafka).
1) Convert some data fields, and write to external Database
2) Transform #1 converted data fields in to different record format say AVRO

*Here are Two approaches that are possible.*

a) One Map function doing both #1 and #2 actions

*datastream.map(1)*

b) Two maps doing separate Actions #1 and #2 .

 *datastream.map().map(1).map(2)     *

Which one would you prefer ?

Is there a way I can see Execution plan ?

Regards,
Vijay

Re: FLINK DATASTREAM Processing Question

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Hi Vijay,

one comment to add is that the performance might suffer with multiple
map() calls. For safety reason, records between chained operators are
serialized and deserialized in order to strictly don't influence each
other. If all functions of a pipeline are guaranteed to not modify
incoming objects, you can enable the object reuse mode (see
enableObjectReuse)[1].

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
Timo