Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Robert Porter <ro...@pobox.com> on 2003/08/03 00:57:46 UTC

Tomcat 4.1x running as NT Service Issue

I have scanned all the archives, and have seen some issues that are similar
but not quite the same so I am posting this request.

We are running Tomcat 4.1.24 Binary release, as a Service on Windows 2000
SP3 and SP4 Pro version. No JSP just servlets. The Tomcat instance is
hosting 2 servlets that talk to a local SQL Server 2000 database on the same
machine. A VB 6 client is talking to the servlets via http post etc, and
exchanging XML documents for requests and replies.

Running as a Service, with JDK 1.3.1 as the JVM the service will crash after
about 10 minutes of activity. Just prior to the crash, available memory will
decrease to 0 and the system will slow to a crawl with a lot of disk
activity, paging I imagine.

Running Tomcat in a window alleviates the problem entirely, so I am assuming
there are some parameters that are being passed via the Startup.bat file
that are not happening with the service. Or perhaps to the JVM, I am very
new to Tomcat so I am not sure how to accomplish this.  However we really
want to have Tomcat running as a service since this is a laptop app being
deployed to hundreds of our users, and we don't want them mucking about with
the Window created by running Tomcat as a windowed service.

Plus, having it run as a service means it is one less thing to worry about
in our application code. However we can't deploy the app if it crashes every
10 minutes.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
RP2C Inc
http://www.rp2c.com
robertporter@rp2c.com

RE: Tomcat 4.1x running as NT Service Issue

Posted by Robert Porter <ro...@pobox.com>.
Appears I spoke to soon.  While memory usage is much better during the
application execution, it still eventually begins a steep climb in terms of
memory consumption, even with setting the various memory parameters on the
JVM.  What is most baffling to me is that this behavior does not occur when
Tomcat is not running as a service.  Anyone have any clues??????

Bob Porter

Posted by pe...@kisstechnologies.co.uk.

        To:     "'Tomcat Users List'" <to...@jakarta.apache.org>

Robert Porter wrote:
> I agree with your view on memory usage on a client, but what I am not
> clear on is do those settings constitute a "hard" limit for
> Tomcat/JVM? And if so, what happens when the limit is exceeded, or it
> attempts to. What we see now is a gradual increase in memory usage
> over a 10 - 15 minute period, followed by an abend of the Tomcat
> service. If we run the Tomcat session in a window, using the stock
> Startup.bat file included with the binary distribution memory usage
> stays flat. This is what led me to wonder if some of these memory
> parameters to the JVM (during the install of the service) might be
> required. I am guessing that the stock install of the service does not
> set any limit on memory usage?  Is this true?  Thanks in advance!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob Porter

Re: Tomcat 4.1x running as NT Service Issue

Posted by pe...@kisstechnologies.co.uk.
thanks been looking for something like that for ages!

Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>
03/08/2003 16:52
Please respond to "Tomcat Users List"

        To:     Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
        cc:

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Robert Porter wrote:
> I agree with your view on memory usage on a client, but what I am not clear
> on is do those settings constitute a "hard" limit for Tomcat/JVM? And if so,
> what happens when the limit is exceeded, or it attempts to. What we see now
> is a gradual increase in memory usage over a 10 - 15 minute period, followed
> by an abend of the Tomcat service. If we run the Tomcat session in a window,
> using the stock Startup.bat file included with the binary distribution
> memory usage stays flat. This is what led me to wonder if some of these
> memory parameters to the JVM (during the install of the service) might be
> required. I am guessing that the stock install of the service does not set
> any limit on memory usage?  Is this true?  Thanks in advance!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob Porter

RE: Tomcat 4.1x running as NT Service Issue

Posted by pe...@kisstechnologies.co.uk.
The settings are not controlled in the startup.bat - if you want to
control them from the command line, you set the environment variable
"JAVA_OPTS" with them.  The default settings for a Sun JVM is to allow a
max heap of 64m - if you try to exceed this,
java.lang.OutOfMemoryException s will be thrown and by and large the whole
thing will fall over.  You can probably see these in the log file if you
look.  Again if you havent specified anything in the service setup, it
will probably run with 64m of memory as well.

Pete

"Robert Porter" <ro...@pobox.com>
03/08/2003 14:27
Please respond to "Tomcat Users List"