Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by brad bowman <be...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/08 21:47:26 UTC

[users@httpd] Restart Errors (apache 2.0.50)

I was wondering if anyone could give some insight as to the possible
cause of a restart error i've been getting intermittently over the
last 8 months or so.

my apache version is:
Apache/2.0.50 (Unix)

My kernel version is:
Linux 2.4.20-8smp (redhat 9)

Basically, if I restart the server using 'apachectl graceful', it will
restart without problems 99 percent of the time, but occasionally it
will fail to restart, giving the error message:
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
Unable to open logs

>From my understanding, this error is normally the result of either an
apache server already running, or something else listening on that
port. There is nothing else running on the server that should ever
pick up on port 80, so typically i've tried to fix the problem by
killing all apache/httpd processes and then restarting apache, but the
same error persists. Since this is a production server, at this point
i've just hedged my bets and rebooted for a 2-3 minute downtime, at
which point operation resumes normally.

Basically i'm looking for advice on what the issue could be, so I can
stop it from happening.... or at least a _FAST_ way to get apache back
up and running if/when it does happen, so I don't have to enter "oh
crap the server is down" mode.

any input would be appreciated
thanks,
brad bowman

Re: [users@httpd] Restart Errors (apache 2.0.50)

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 6/8/05, brad bowman <be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> my apache version is:
> Apache/2.0.50 (Unix)

A little old.

> Basically, if I restart the server using 'apachectl graceful', it will
> restart without problems 99 percent of the time, but occasionally it
> will fail to restart, giving the error message:
> (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
> Unable to open logs
>
> From my understanding, this error is normally the result of either an
> apache server already running, or something else listening on that
> port. There is nothing else running on the server that should ever
> pick up on port 80,

Use a tool like lsof to see what is hanging onto port 80.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Restart Errors (apache 2.0.50)

Posted by Andres Monroy-Hernandez <an...@exlibris-usa.com>.
My guess is that the graceful restart is not freeing the port after all
the children exit.

Is using apache restart out of the question? Perhaps your web
applications don't let the children exit and the request to exit times out?

-Andres