Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2022/04/12 19:09:47 UTC

[DISCUSS] Rename 'master' branch to 'main' (part 2)

In August 2020 Michael started a discussion[1] about renaming the
'master' branch in Git to 'main'. A majority of the community seemed
to be in favor, although some people did not agree with the change.

If I recall correctly, we did not move forward with the rename at that
time in part because of tooling: GitHub tooling was not mature enough
to guarantee that the change would be smooth. I now believe the
tooling is mature. I have migrated several personal projects, and
GitHub makes it very easy.

I propose that we move forward with renaming the 'master' branch in
the calcite, calcite-avatica and calcite-avatica-go repositories. I
propose that we do calcite-avatica first, because it is less used than
calcite.

Julian

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/7f2kpkf8lrq0mmt46lb2orsh39kq7dbs

Re: [DISCUSS] Rename 'master' branch to 'main' (part 2)

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
There seems to be consensus to move forward. (I do not presume that
all of the dissenters from last year's discussion have changed their
minds and are now on board. Their objections are on record in that
thread.)

I am moving discussion to the case,
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4147. Please watch that
case if you want to help execute this change. We will email this list
when there is something to announce.

Julian

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.