Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeff Ousley <je...@yahoo.com> on 2003/01/13 23:37:44 UTC

how do I reference a bean that's inside my jsp page?

Hello,

I cannot seem to get this example below to work under
tomcat (I'm using version 4.1.18). I get an error
indicating that the class localBean cannot be found
such as:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: localBean
	at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1428)
	at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1274)

I tried doing an import (which is now commented out)
to no avail. Can I not have a bean in my jsp page? If
I can, how do I reference it or what do I set so that
it can be found?

thanks!

example page
------------

<HTML>
<%-- <%@ page import="localBean" %> --%>

<%!
// this is a local "helper" bean for processing the
HTML form
static public class localBean
{
   private String value;
   public String getValue()         { return value;}
   public void setValue(String s)   { value = s; }
}
%>

<jsp:useBean id="localBean" scope="page"
class="localBean" >
<%-- Every time we create the bean, initialize the
string  --%>
<jsp:setProperty name="localBean" property="value"
value="World" />
</jsp:useBean>

<%-- Whatever HTTP parameters we have,
     try to set an analogous bean property  --%>
<jsp:setProperty name="localBean" property="*" />

<HEAD><TITLE>HelloWorld w/ JavaBean</TITLE></HEAD>
<BODY>
<CENTER>
<P><H1>Hello
<jsp:getProperty name='localBean'
property='value'/></H1></P>
<FORM method=post>
Enter a name to be greeted:
<INPUT TYPE="text" SIZE="32" NAME="value"
VALUE="<jsp:getProperty name='localBean'
property='value'/>">
<BR>
<INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="Submit">
</FORM>
</CENTER>
</BODY>
</HTML>

RE: how do I reference a bean that's inside my jsp page?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I cannot imagine how that would work in any app
> server. A Java bean is it's own class that can
> be used by ...

It works just fine in other JSP engines, e.g., GNUJSP.  The example was just
a self-contained example for introducing bean tags, and the specific use is
limited to form handling where the bean is intended to have a 1:1
relationship with the HTML form.  The documentation mentions that it is a
limited application (you *must* use page scope because the bean cannot be
used outside of that page, and any other scope would lead to classloader
problems).

	--- Noel

Re: how do I reference a bean that's inside my jsp page?

Posted by Charles Baker <ra...@yahoo.com>.
--- Jeff Ousley <je...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Charles,
>
> The bean is actually on the same page in a
> declaration
> block. If I pull the bean out and put it into it's
> own
> class file, I can get it to work. I was just trying
> get the example from the tutorial to work. It seems
> work on the tutorial site, but I'm not sure what
> application server they are using.
>
> -jeff

{{SNIP}}

I cannot imagine how that would work in any app
server. A Java bean is it's own class that can be used
by a jsp, a servlet, or even a Java gui app. Strange.
What tutorial are you looking at?

=====
rascharles@yahoo.com
http://www.charleshbaker.com/~chb/
If you cannot in the long run tell everyone what you have been doing,
your doing was worthless. -- Edwim Schrodinger

Re: how do I reference a bean that's inside my jsp page?

Posted by Jeff Ousley <je...@yahoo.com>.
Charles,

The bean is actually on the same page in a declaration
block. If I pull the bean out and put it into it's own
class file, I can get it to work. I was just trying to
get the example from the tutorial to work. It seems to

Posted by Charles Baker <ra...@yahoo.com>.