Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com> on 2012/11/14 23:06:50 UTC

[FALCON] It starts with an idea

Hey,

I just wanted to state this in a new thread so others might know my
intentions as a committer for the time being. Some of you might have
noticed I am quite interested in the compiler and plan on donating a
lot of my time to it helping Gordon out with tests and trying to get
the community involved by documenting some of the more obscure features.

One thing I want to note;

At this point in time in my life I really don't care about Javascript.
Really, I don't and it's never going to be a badge on my backpack of
life.

That being said, I see my contribution in the project a process of joy
and invention. Just writing something to Gordon a second ago I
realized what that is. The only way I can continue is if I have a
goal. That goal is realized by the fact I program Java android and do
extensive UI stuff with music applications I have coming up in the
next 2 years using a Java C++ toolkit I have been working on the last
10 months.

What does this mean? MXML -> Java Android UI like View and ViewGroup.
Man I have no idea how the hell I could do it but I know I want to and
am going to try.

Getting into the MXML compiler the last couple days reminded me of the
diamond in the haystack we have.

Anyway, more thoughts to come, this was a off the cuff ramble.

Peace,
Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com

Re: [FALCON] It starts with an idea

Posted by aYo ~ <ay...@binitie.com>.
"At this point in time in my life I really don't care about Javascript.
Really, I don't ...."

"What does this mean? MXML -> Java Android UI like View and ViewGroup. Man
I have no idea how the hell I could do it but I know I want to and am going
to try."

Now that's what I'm talking about, Michael, I could kiss you. It's a
brilliant idea.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
That is the current definition of what it is.  The Apache Flex SDK is a
framework written in AS3.  Where the code ends up I don't think is
something that really concerns me (as long as the targets I need I can
still get to).  Really, this is no different than taking this compiled SWF
data and distributing it with AIR (which is the most popular method right
now)... except we would skip the SWF output part and deploy right to the
device.

I say go for it.  If you have the passion, go ahead.  I doubt any of the
other committers would stop you (rather I'm sure they will help you along).

-Nick

Posted by Frank Pepermans <fr...@hotmail.com>.
Not sure how it would not fit in the definition you state,

I read it as you start out with one code base, and have the ability to run
it on as many devices supported,
if he'd succeed, then then only difference would be that on Android devices,
you app will not be running via AIR, but natively,
does that really matter in the end?

Even if he manages to make even a small subset of Flex port to Java
(Android), that'd be an enormous boost to the project I think.

Ideally, Flex should be very portable to other environments and runtimes,
given the current status of Flex this is an (ugly) behemoth
of a task, perhaps sometime in the future we can think of using the Flex
idea and starting from scratch, in the hopes of creating this very portable
framework some day...

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [FALCON] It starts with an idea

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Exactly, you should have said it for me. :)

> You seem to be one of the few people that actually understand all this
> stuff, so I'm sure if you build the Android side of things - with the
> 'swiss army knife' in the back of your mind, of course - we can learn from
> that and build towards other platforms from that example.

This is what I'm hoping.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Hi Mike,

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [FALCON] It starts with an idea

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
You know I just had a funny thought.

I wrote an asdoc documentor(from previous code I had from other
projects) in about 1 week with the Falcon compiler and Velocity
templates.

You see I already know this is the future or bust with Flex. How was I
able to create a middle framework that analyzed the AS3 model that was
created by the compiler? I knew the API of accessors and renderers.

I then turned the compiler's data structure into a HTML documentation
view with a renderer framework I wrote that understood the AS3 dialect
using an accessor framework.

Folks, I know this is all possible because I have already done it. (in a way)

The MXML compiler just adds a huge amount of new possibilities because
you are dealing with the same semantics in the compilers model but it
can be written declarative in MXML!

Mike

Posted by João Fernandes <jo...@gmail.com>.

--

João Fernandes

Re: [FALCON] It starts with an idea

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
In short, Android delivery is one implementation of the cross platform API
(swiss army knife)?

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [FALCON] It starts with an idea

Posted by aYo ~ <ay...@binitie.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Yes there are a lot of similarities.

I write in Andorid, the XML design feels like HTML4 in relation to
what we can do in MXML. Not to mention tricks and optimizations that
we do, like inline, data binding.

Creating/including custom components in Android XML is a pain. Imagine
with Flex and it's MXML. They also have layout includes and other
optimizations.

Just the ability to wrangle Androids most principled and basic design
patterns in an easy to use Flex template/components.

What I have not thought about what so ever is how the build works, but
that's just another step.

Man, you could just use Flex to create full templates for android
dynamically based on mxml. The ideas are limitless when you think
about how abstract we could make Flex and MXML.

Mike

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Carlos,

I totally get where you are coming from with the implied strength of
this framework being is "standards approach to development".

Let me rephrase;

My idea is that the MXML compiler is a VERY powerful user interface
abstraction tool. I think Gordon said it well, that MXML is a very
capable declarative user interface abstraction.

This is what I am talking about leveraging. Whether MXML gets rendered
to Android, JS, HTML5 what ever, my point is, I can use Android as a
starting point because this is where my money is coming from.

You know I have heard OOP preached forever that the model needs to be
separated from the view. This is where the MXML compiler could be
reinvented.

> "one-man-effort"

Well I get what your saying but, efforts come into existence to solve
problems.

I'm not talking about making Android applications in AS3 either. I'm
talking about the "view" layer.

Anyway, this idea is not even thought out yet.

Mike

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [FALCON] It starts with an idea

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
BTW;

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Hey,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [FALCON] It starts with an idea

Posted by aYo ~ <ay...@binitie.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

>>> http://www.directwriter.es

Posted by aYo ~ <ay...@binitie.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Yes, it does exist and Google has don a fine job promoting their
layout designer etc.

Coming from years of Flex development and MXML application design I
can certainly say that although using XML as they do is great, having
a compiler like the MXML compiler could offer a huge abstraction that
their XML could not match.

Plus the extension side of being able to produce their layout XML OR
straight Java constructs is compelling enough for me to want to try it.

One of the great things I am realizing about Apache is I don't work
for a corporation and even the WC3. I work for myself fulfilling
something I see that could help "something", maybe myself as centered
as that sounds.

Regardless of this idea I have, my point is this. One of Adobe's
marketing schemes was to throw crap on every wall possible and market
it as such with huge holes in between.

Apache Flex will get a new life if us committers and community realize
it didn't work then and it won't work now. (The one size fits all). I
want to start off with point specific tools that do 1 thing. I have

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Michael,

--
Carlos Rovira