Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jeremiah Jordan <JE...@morningstar.com> on 2011/02/01 18:16:04 UTC

Get column names without getting the data in them

Is there a way to query for column names or super column names without
also pulling down the data they contain?  (Besides keeping a second
index)  I don't see an obvious way to do it from the Thrift API, but
maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks!
-Jeremiah

________________________________
Jeremiah Jordan
Application Developer
Morningstar, Inc.

Morningstar. Illuminating investing worldwide.

+1 312 696-6128 voice
jeremiah.jordan@morningstar.com

www.morningstar.com

This e-mail contains privileged and confidential information and is
intended only for the use of the person(s) named above. Any
dissemination, distribution, or duplication of this communication
without prior written consent from Morningstar is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender
immediately and delete the materials from any computer.

Re: Get column names without getting the data in them

Posted by Sasha Dolgy <sd...@gmail.com>.
ah i see ... apologies for the extra bytes

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Not at all.

The question was about retrieving the column name without the column value. That is not possible.

Aaron

On 02 Feb, 2011,at 10:27 AM, Sasha Dolgy <sd...@gmail.com> wrote:

"Cassandra column families are schema-less and like SQL tables, they don't have a fixed number of columns per row.  In the same column family, one row may have 5 columns, and another row, 10,000 columns. Every row can possibly have a different number / set of columns."

are you saying the above is incorrect?
-sd

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
Not that I know of.

Aaron

On 2/02/2011, at 6:21 AM, Sasha Dolgy <sd...@gmail.com> wrote:

I asked this on the hector list last week.  Its possible but remember, each row can have a different set of associated columns.

--
Sasha Dolgy
sasha.dolgy@gmail.com

Re: Get column names without getting the data in them

Posted by Sasha Dolgy <sd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Not that I know of.

Posted by Sasha Dolgy <sd...@gmail.com>.