Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by David Remy <dr...@bea.com> on 2004/05/19 18:50:28 UTC

Online schema compilation

When bea first released xmlbeans we put up an online site where someone
could upload their schema(s) and get a xmlbeans generated jar back.
This was very popular but, unfortunately, we didn't keep it up after the
first release and we have pulled it down from the bea website.

Is anyone interested in creating such an app?  Does anyone know if
Apache has a facility for hosting apps like this?

Here are some basic ideas about what the app would do:

*  allow the user to upload multiple schemas
*  expose most of the schema compiler options
   *  allow user to designate name of generated jar
   *  turn downloads on
   *  etc.
*  need to be able to select the xmlbeans version to compile against
(V1.02, V1.03, V2, etc.)
* an optional feature might be to allow 'validation' only.  This would
allow people just looking for schema validation comparison with some of
the other schema validators out there easily.
* ask the right questions of the user about what to do with the schema
after compilation.  This is optional but ideally we could ask permission
to gather statistics about the schemas to better understand what schema
features are being used.

If we had a really good tool like this then it may be that many xmlbeans
users would not have to go through the hassle of figuring out how to use
scomp or the xmlbean ant task and they would just submit their .xsds for
compilation online and then put xbeans.jar in their classpath for
runtime usage.

Anyone interested in taking this on?  Seems like a fun/important app to
do.  Not sure where, how to host it though.  Cliff, maybe this would be
a chance to do a cool sample application using BeeHive?

Re: Online schema compilation

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 19 May 2004, at 17:50, David Remy wrote:

> When bea first released xmlbeans we put up an online site where someone
> could upload their schema(s) and get a xmlbeans generated jar back.
> This was very popular but, unfortunately, we didn't keep it up after
> the
> first release and we have pulled it down from the bea website.
>
> Is anyone interested in creating such an app?  Does anyone know if
> Apache has a facility for hosting apps like this?

the right place to ask this question is infrastructure (possibly after
talking to the folks on general at incubator) but i'll try to give some
general pointers

AIUI

the ASF's primary concerns are security and legal oversight. secondary
concerns are that there's only limited bandwidth available for hosting
the ASF and only a limited number of ASF machines available. (ASF
machines need to be administered by a member of the infrastructure
team.)

i don't think that there should be concerns about legal oversight or
bandwidth. security concerns prevent the serving of (nearly all)
dynamic content from the core infrastructure machines. but the ASF has
more machines available now (than it used to) so there may well be
suitable machines available. in which case, there's a good chance that
it'd be approved.

but, you'll need to ask on infrastructure since i'm no longer
subscribed there and my information's probably stable by now. it'd
probably be best to create the application first (since there's always
the possibility of hosting it on an arms-length machine if there is
some reason why no ASF machine is available.)

- robert

Re: Online schema compilation

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Bishop <mb...@infowave.com>.
Can we get the source for the original site?  It would make a great contrib
project.

Posted by Matt Bishop <mb...@infowave.com>.