Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/01 16:16:37 UTC

Re: The Red Sea

So I decided to look at NB code base.  Followed the "bootstrap" section
here:  https://netbeans.apache.org/participate/submit-pr.html  except that
I used NB8.2 to do the Git things.  When NB asked if I wanted to open a
project I selected them all and clicked "Yes".  After cranking several
minutes nearly all the projects have errors.  I'm no Git ninja but I
thought the master branch in Git was gold code.

Anyway, is this the expected outcome?  Why are projects in "master" branch
when they won't compile and build?

I presume the next step is attempting to get rid of the sea of red?  Or
have I screwed up something?

If I have to work on getting rid of the sea of red I think I'll just go off
and work on my own stuff and leave NB to be tended by people who know what
they are doing.

Thanks for any guidance on what I've done wrong.

Re: The Red Sea

Posted by Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com>.
To say nothing of all the gigs Ant downloads in the process....

I'm still getting "resolve" problems with Jetty and  uh, uh, can't remember
at the moment.  But I assume when the JEE stuff gets added those issues
will resolve themselves.  There is also one issue that will resolve itself
when I move to jdk9 on that machine.

At this time it's working well enough that I can look at code -- the
original intent.  Mission accomplished.

Thanks for your interest, Tim.

Re: The Red Sea

Posted by Tim Boudreau <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
http://timboudreau.com

Re: The Red Sea

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Great! Yes, would be excellent to all work on the site together and add
what we feel is missing.

Gj

Re: The Red Sea

Posted by Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com>.

Re: The Red Sea

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: The Red Sea

Posted by Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com>.

Re: The Red Sea

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: The Red Sea

Re: The Red Sea

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hey Chuck,

Am Sonntag, den 01.04.2018, 09:16 -0700 schrieb Chuck Davis:
> articipate/submit-pr.html  except that
> I used NB8.2 to do the Git things.  When NB asked if I wanted to open a
> project I selected them all and clicked "Yes".  After cranking several
> minutes nearly all the projects have errors.

You don't need all projects (in fact it just distracts from the thinks
you want to work on). Open the projects you need (most times these are
one or two modules).

>  I'm no Git ninja but I
> thought the master branch in Git was gold code.

Run a priming build (run ant in the checked out codebase). This will
build the necessary tools/utilities.

> Anyway, is this the expected outcome?  Why are projects in "master" branch
> when they won't compile and build?

They do compile - that is what the jenkins + travis-ci jobs take care
of:

https://builds.apache.org/job/incubator-netbeans-linux/
https://travis-ci.org/apache/incubator-netbeans

HTH