Posted to user@spark.apache.org by unk1102 <um...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/06 17:51:37 UTC

ORC files created by Spark job can't be accessed using hive table

Hi I have a spark job which creates ORC files in partitions using the
following code

dataFrame.write().mode(SaveMode.Append).partitionBy("entity","date").format("orc").save("baseTable");

Above code creates successfully orc files which is readable in Spark
dataframe

But when I try to load orc files generated using above code into hive orc
table or hive external table nothing gets printed looks like table is empty
what's wrong here I can see orc files in hdfs but hive table does not read
it please guide

Re: ORC files created by Spark job can't be accessed using hive table

Posted by Umesh Kacha <um...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Michael so the following code written using Spark 1.5.1 should be
able to recognise by Hive table right

dataFrame.write().mode(SaveMode.Append).partitionBy("
entity","date").format("orc").save("baseTable");

Hive console:
Create external table bla bla
stored as ORC
Location '/user/xyz/baseTable'