Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Lars Eilebrecht <La...@unix-ag.org> on 1997/11/12 19:37:10 UTC

Re: documentation/1393: Laziness with NameVirtualHost documentat

Let me add some personal notes to your mail...

If you don't like the way the Apache Group develops Apache you should
stop using it and start writing your own web server! If you don't like to
receive rude responses to your PRs you should stop submitting rude PRs!

>     The one exception is your CHANGES file: it's EXCELLENT in regards to
>   being up-to-date, and on-key.

So why do you complain? The CHANGES file noted the new NameVirtualHost
directive (and it was also added to the FAQ).

>     However, throwing in a directive which breaks all name-based
>   VirtualHosts (the NameVirtualHost directive), and not even taking the
>   simple time (10 minutes at MAX) to document the feature which can
>   supposedly rectify the situation is pure suicide.

The NameVirtualHost directive does not break things, but simplifies them.
The user only sees a new directive, but the vhost code was completely
rewritten. Documenting such changes takes much longer than 10 minutes
(I know this, because I wrote most parts of the new virtual host
documentation which is now available online).

>     My submissions have obviously gotten you guys riled up enough to
>   pay attention to the situation, and do something about it. That's all
>   that my post was intended to do.

You only showed with your submission that you are far away from understanding
the idea of *free* software like Apache...

--
Lars Eilebrecht                       - Internet is full, go away!
sfx@unix-ag.org