Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Ning Li <Ni...@businessobjects.com> on 2006/03/06 23:52:03 UTC

improve master/slave topology

Hi,

This is a continued discussion about dynamically reintroduce the master
after a failure, the original discussion is here.

http://forums.activemq.org/posts/list/468.page#1653

James idea about pausing the slave and synchronize two DBs is better
than stopping the slave and doing a manual sync. But I doubt this is
acceptable to us, as in real production environment, we won't be able to
pause the only message broker unless for a really short interval (I
guess have to less than one minute otherwise the end user will notice
it).

Maybe a broker-broker synchronization protocol is the ultimate solution,
just we are not sure how to get there. Any recommendation or
suggestions?

Thanks

Ning

Re: improve master/slave topology

Posted by Sridhar Komandur <an...@komandur.com>.
I like the idea of broker-broker synchronization. One of the  issues to
resolve is how reliable this synch activity needs to be ? A transactional
approach is too heavy weight for the common case.

I think a middle ground based on TCP may be good enough. We can divide the
synchronization into two phases:
- dynamic synch : messages are sent to the partner on an ongoing basis
- bulk synch: a new secondary comes up and its state needs to be brought up
to par with primary

Thanks
Regards
- Sridhar