Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chris Jensen <cj...@edex.com.au> on 2005/06/25 02:07:36 UTC

svnadmin dump on live repository

Hi,
Just curious, is performing "svnadmin dump" on a repository that may
also be accessed by users (over webdav) safe?
Is there any reason it shouldn't be done?

The book doesn't seem to say one way or another. Though I've noticed
users mentioning that their backup solutions involve using
"svn-hot-backup" and then running "svnadmin dump" off the hot backup
rather than the live repository.

Regards
Chris

Chris Jensen cjensen@edex.com.au

Educational Experience (Australia)
Postal Address: PO Box 860, Newcastle NSW 2300
Freecall:       1-800-025 270      International: +61-2-4923 8222
Fax:            (02) 4942 1991     International: +61-2-4942 1991

Visit our online Toy store! http://www.toysandmore.com.au/

Re: svnadmin dump on live repository

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jun 24, 2005, at 9:07 PM, Chris Jensen wrote:

> Hi,
> Just curious, is performing "svnadmin dump" on a repository that
> may also be accessed by users (over webdav) safe?
> Is there any reason it shouldn't be done?

It's perfectly fine.  It's no different than running 'svn checkout
file:///' in a loop, over each revision.  All sorts of other reads/
writes can be happening at the same time from other servers.  The
nice thing about the repository's architecture is that readers are
*never* blocked, ever.

> The book doesn't seem to say one way or another. Though I've
> noticed users mentioning that their backup solutions involve using
> "svn-hot-backup" and then running "svnadmin dump" off the hot
> backup rather than the live repository.

Hot backup is just a way of copying db files in a specific order, so
as to guarantee that your backup remains consistent.  If the
repository is offline, then 'cp -R' is all you need.

Re: svnadmin dump on live repository

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On 25.06.2005, at 04:07, Chris Jensen wrote:

> Just curious, is performing "svnadmin dump" on a repository that
> may also be accessed by users (over webdav) safe?
> Is there any reason it shouldn't be done?
>
> The book doesn't seem to say one way or another. Though I've
> noticed users mentioning that their backup solutions involve using
> "svn-hot-backup" and then running "svnadmin dump" off the hot
> backup rather than the live repository.

The feeling I got from reading many messages here is that the hot-
backup-and-then-dump procedure is required for BDB repositories but
for FSFS repositories you can just dump the live repository. I
believe I heard that the worst "corruption" that can occur as a
result is that your dump contains one revision file more than the
indicated largest revision, but that this does not pose a problem.
Your dump then simply does not contain that latest revision. But a
BDB hot-copy-then-dump would not have contained it either (because
the revision came in while you were doing the backup).