Posted to user-cs@ibatis.apache.org by Larry Meadors <la...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/24 14:03:26 UTC

Note on WIKI useage

Please, please, please do NOT post support questions on the WIKI
unless you are adding them to the FAQ *WITH AN ANSWER*.

The WIKI is NOT a support forum.

Any unanswered questions on the WIKI will be deleted.

Larry

Re: Note on WIKI useage

Posted by Larry Meadors <la...@gmail.com>.
I guess I incorrectly assumed that the line in a bold red font on the
WIKI that reads "This is NOT a support forum. If you need help with a
problem, please use the mailing lists." with a link to the mailing
lists was pretty darn clear.

Perhaps we need to add that to the edit page as well?

Larry

Re: Note on WIKI useage

Posted by Nathan Maves <Na...@Sun.COM>.
Rahul,

I agree with your statement about the manual.  It is just a bit
frustrating answering the same question over and over again.  This
alias dose not seem to have this problem.  I think that it is because
of the work that has gone into the manual and the wiki.

I was reading your first email again and in the section where you ask
about a web submission for help.  One reason is that we agreed that
the email forum should NOT be anonymous and an email submission form
is easily fooled by most.

As for a web based view of the alias have you checked out

http://www.mail-archive.com/user-java@ibatis.apache.org/

Nathan
On Jun 24, 2005, at 9:07 AM, Rahul Singh ( Anant ) wrote:

> Nathan,
>
> If the site had it correct, then there wouldn't be an issue of
> confused users. "Read the F#$# Manual" is the wrong attitude even if
> you are dealing with developers.
>
> The point is that NO one has it correct, especially with open source
> solutions. Rainbow developers claimed they had it correct with Forums
> and Confluence. However, when a yahoogroup was started.. it seemed
> that people tended to gravitate towards it because it "worked"
>
> I don't think anyone can say "this is the right way" simply because
> usability is a gray area which people do lots and lots of research on.
> (I don't like Nielsen, but he did do a good job with the SUN site..
> and he is ONE expert, which others disagree with)
>
> The way you get a approximation of correctness is if you look at the
> users's goals and try to cater to them rather than pushing them what
> "we" think is right. (See Inmates are running the Asylum by Alan
> Cooper)
>
> Rahul
>
> On 6/24/05, Nathan Maves <Na...@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> Rahul,
>>
>> Like many other open source solutions that I use, this site has it
>> correct.  They ask new users to search for their problem in both the
>> Wiki and the mail archives.  Of course it would be nice it they read
>> the manual first.  If they can not find a solution they are more then
>> welcome to ask it on the alias.
>>
>> Most of the support people only have time to respond to email.  If we
>> find that it is a common problem and we have a solution we will post
>> it to the Wiki.
>>
>> Nathan
>>
>> On Jun 24, 2005, at 7:36 AM, Rahul Singh ( Anant ) wrote:
>>

>>> Larry,
>>>
>>> Most people who are using the wiki probably don't use the
>>> Mailinglist
>>> because it is a source of support. Why not just create a simple page
>>> which would let people ask questions from the web, and an email
>>> would
>>> be sent to the lists.
>>>
>>> People need to be either told the purposes of the different support
>>> mechanisms ( for different types of people ) or a better systems
>>> should be used altogether.
>>>
>>> I have been using Yahoogroups to manage groups for ASP.NET and
>>> Rainbow
>>> Portal. Users have a nice web based view of the questions/answers

Re: Note on WIKI useage

Posted by "Rahul Singh ( Anant )" <an...@gmail.com>.
Nathan,

--
Rahul Singh
CEO, Anant

Re: Note on WIKI useage

Posted by John Fereira <ja...@cornell.edu>.
At 01:32 PM 6/24/2005, you wrote:
>John,
>
>Not sure if you are telling everyone that we do use JIRA or are
>suggesting that we use it.
>
>Either way here is the link to the JIRA
>
>http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IBATIS

I was speaking of open source project documentation and the use of whatever
issue tracking system (if any) it uses.  We've run into the same
documentation issues that are being discussed here on the JA-SIG uPortal
project.  In fact, I gave a presentation on uPortal documentation at the
recent uPortal conference that was partially motivated by frequent
occurrences of posts like "I'm have a problem trying to do ....and I
couldn't find anything in the documentation".  Invariably the answer often
boils down to "where did you look?"  Quite often the problem has been
previously encountered and probably resolved but the resolution might be
documented on the mailing list (how may people search the archives before
answering a question on the email list???), the main web site, on the wiki,
or via comments in the issue tracking system.  Most recently we've found
that the use of JIRA is a real good method for documenting resolutions to
problems but it's not always obvious to users of the technology to look
there first.  The fact that iBatis is using Jira (as are many other ASF
projects) is certainly (IMHO) one of the reasons that several *are* lauding
the quality of the documentation.  The main point of my post was to inform
people that issue tracking systems are a good first stop for looking for
resolutions to problems they are encountering.

Re: Note on WIKI useage

Posted by Nathan Maves <Na...@Sun.COM>.
John,

Re: Note on WIKI useage