Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by sudhi <su...@marsh.com> on 2006/07/28 17:01:34 UTC

Newbie Question

Hi,
I am sorry to ask a question like this. I am trying to find out a soluton to
reuse existing content repository. Current implementation is Database for
metadata, and actual content is stored in file system.

Content Retrival rule: look at the database and find what file to retrieve.

Can this type of multiple datasource can be configured with Jackrabbit ?

Any info regarding this is appreciated
Thanks
Sudhi
Sent from the Jackrabbit - Users forum at Nabble.com.

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by sudhi <su...@marsh.com>.
Hi,
I am sorry, I was not clear in describing the problem.

We are using Interwoven and cutsom home grown content management solutions
to create the content. So creating the content is not what I am worried
about.

The content repository implementation, I am intereseted requires ONLY level
1 compliance ( reading content only). I dont need any persistance.

Even just to get the read functionality to read from file system and
database, do I need to create my own version of Persistance Manager ?

Also can I initializa jack rabbit as level 1 compliant content repository ?

Thanks for the info

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by Nicolas <nt...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I don't know if I have understood correctly your question, but you can
implement your own  Persistence Manager if needed. Please have a look at the
web site documentation to know how to create one.

Nicolas

--
a+
Nico

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by sudhi <su...@marsh.com>.
Hi,
Thanks for the response. Yes, we could do something to migrate the data into
a single source(database/filesystem).

Is there any way to initialize only LEVEL 1 compliant repository ? We dont
need any versioning, multiple workspaces etc.

How can one initialize a level 1 repository ?
How can the data in the db/filesystem automatically loaded when repository
is initialized ?
Is there any cache mechanism built in ?
Is there any scheduler service exists, that will refresh the repository from
source every X amount of time ?
Is there any benchmark data exists on performance (file system vs database
backed repository) ?

Any info regarding these questions are really helpful.

Thanks in advance

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 7/28/06, sudhi <su...@marsh.com> wrote:
> I am sorry to ask a question like this. I am trying to find out a soluton to
> reuse existing content repository. Current implementation is Database for
> metadata, and actual content is stored in file system.
>
> Content Retrival rule: look at the database and find what file to retrieve.
>
> Can this type of multiple datasource can be configured with Jackrabbit ?

You should really consider the option of placing both the file
contents *and* the related metadata within a Jackrabbit repository.
This ability to to store data and the related metadata in the same
place using the flexible content model is one of the main strenghts of
the JCR standard.

BR,

Jukka Zitting