Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org> on 2008/10/09 07:36:45 UTC

Android good and bad news

Hi all,

I've been testing the latest android SDK version (1.0-rc1).

Android improvements:

- Annotations are finally working...they finally implemented the native
method for the emulator, on the old version we had only the native methods

- Now the android is including the resources (non class files), those
defined in the android project and in its included projects, in its package
and not ignoring as it used to do. It's really good, because we don't need
to adapt the way Android SCA looks for resouces anymore.

- The android plugin is finally including the android included projects
dependencies. On old versions, any dependency included in any included
project needed to be also included in the android project.

Bad news:

- android sdk still doesn't contain many JDK classes, mainly the ones that
tuscany uses a lot, like xml api, just few classes from this api is in the
actual android sdk : (

- android .class converter is by default failing when it tries to convert a
.class file that are JDK classes...even if this is not included in the
android SDK. I can force the converter using the --core-library argument,
but unfortunatelly there is no option to set this option on android builder.
The only way I could convert was using an ant build. But debugging on the
emulator using command line is really painful. I have tried to generate the
.apk file (the android executable file) and place it on the eclipse android
project and I tried to run it from eclipse, but I get an error saying that
the .apk is not found. I think when the .apk is generated by the android
builder, it also register the .apk on the emulator, I'm not sure, but I will
work on that.

The last bad issue is a problem, because I need to add a lot of xml classes
from jdk and it's not being possible. These classes are used by stax api and
some other tuscany classes.

Oscar and me have already complained about these bad issues on android ML,
but unfortunately android developers are not good at answering questions as
tuscany's : )

I think that's it : )

Comments, suggestions and critics are welcome :-)

Adriano Crestani

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Let me add some more goods and bads here:

Good:
With all the goods points I have mentioned on this thread, we will need to
modify almost nothing of tuscany sca code to get it running on android (I
expect)

Bad:
When android converts included eclipse project, jars and etc to the android
format, it includes everything in the same .apk file. So, if there are more
than one class with the same package and name there will be a conflict,
anyway, I dont think this is a problem, the java packages exists to solve
this kind of problem. The problem is with the non .class files. Like, for
example, if you have more than one
org/apache/tuscany/sca/binding/sca/definitions.xml, each one in different
modules or jars, the convertion will fail, because there cannot be 2 files
with the same name and in the same folder in the .apk file. It's possible on
a JVM because each definitions.xml file will have a different class loader,
but on the android platform, there is only one class loader for the entire
apk. Anyway, we can think about it in future when we get tuscany android
running fine in an IDE : )

Adriano Crestani

Re: RMI adaptor

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Balasubramanyam, Shivakumar <
sbalasub@qualcomm.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to have a interoperable between Java RMI and C++ SCA client?
> Even a subset of the spec would work.
>
> Has anyone worked on this or have any sufficient documentation?
>
> Thanks,
> Shiva
>

> Hi Shiva

I don't believe anyone has considered this to date but I think that there
are C++ RMI type implementations so you are at least in with a chance of
building a new binding, using the native SCA runtimes extensibility points,
to allow a component in the native runtime talk rmi to a component exposed
with binding.rmi in the java runtime.

Simon

RMI adaptor

RMI adaptor

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Oscar Castaneda <os...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Luciano. It's great progress! Unfortunately for me it took a
while...but I started testing again, as you'll see in the another thread.
Hopefully I'll make some progress in getting the SCA runtime working on top
of Android.

--
best,
-oscar

Oscar Castañeda

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Oscar Castaneda <os...@gmail.com>.

--
best,
-oscar

Oscar Castañeda

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Oscar Castaneda <os...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luciano,

--
best,
-oscar

Oscar Castañeda

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Oscar Castaneda <os...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luciano,

--
best,
-oscar

Oscar Castañeda

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.
Hi Luciano,

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.
Hi Luciano,

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.
Hi again Shiva,

Do you have anything in mind already about the ways sca could talk with
android? It seems you already know something about android and that could
help us to define something :P

We could start a discussion and try to define one way ( or more :-) ) that a
sca client could comunicate with an android app : )

What do you think? :)

Best Regards,
Adriano Crestani

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Adriano Crestani <

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.
Hi again Shiva,

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.
Hi Shiva,

I would like to adapt the RPC and Data binding that would work for Android
IDL. Have you guys been able to get the AIDL wire format specification.

It's a good feature that we can implement in future. Also I think we can in
future expose an android service as a sca service.

In other words, How are you guys planning to have a sca client talk to a
Android app?

At first we are only trying to run the sca runtime on the android platform :
)...but I think we can work in parallel on it...I will do my researches here
; )

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.
Hi Shiva,

RE: Android good and bad news

> I've been testing the latest android SDK version (1.0-rc1).
>
> Android improvements:
>
> - Annotations are finally working...they finally implemented the
> native method for the emulator, on the old version we had only the
> native methods
>
> - Now the android is including the resources (non class files), those
> defined in the android project and in its included projects, in its
> package and not ignoring as it used to do. It's really good, because
> we don't need to adapt the way Android SCA looks for resouces anymore.
>
> - The android plugin is finally including the android included
> projects dependencies. On old versions, any dependency included in any
> included project needed to be also included in the android project.
>
> Bad news:
>
> - android sdk still doesn't contain many JDK classes, mainly the ones
> that tuscany uses a lot, like xml api, just few classes from this api
> is in the actual android sdk : (
>
> - android .class converter is by default failing when it tries to
> convert a .class file that are JDK classes...even if this is not
> included in the android SDK. I can force the converter using the
> --core-library argument, but unfortunatelly there is no option to set
> this option on android builder. The only way I could convert was using
> an ant build. But debugging on the emulator using command line is
> really painful. I have tried to generate the .apk file (the android
> executable
> file) and place it on the eclipse android project and I tried to run
> it from eclipse, but I get an error saying that the .apk is not found.
> I think when the .apk is generated by the android builder, it also
> register the .apk on the emulator, I'm not sure, but I will work on that.
>

> The last bad issue is a problem, because I need to add a lot of xml
> classes from jdk and it's not being possible. These classes are used
> by stax api and some other tuscany classes.
>
> Oscar and me have already complained about these bad issues on android
> ML, but unfortunately android developers are not good at answering
> questions as tuscany's : )
>
> I think that's it : )
>
> Comments, suggestions and critics are welcome :-)
>
> Adriano Crestani

Adriano,

Two ideas:

- How about adding the android plugin to the Maven build? that should make it easier for all to build it, run tests etc as running the Android tools manually in Eclipse is not a very reliable and repeatable process.
I can help you set up the pom.xml files if you want and give me the Android commands to run.

- To work around the XML parsing limitations... well maybe for now we don't need XML in the first place. When we process an SCA contribution, instead of looking for foo.composite for example, we could look for and execute a "FooComposite" Java class, which would create the Composite model for 'foo' using the Java model APIs from tuscany-assembly (like some test cases already do). In a way that Java class would just be another representation of the composite (as Java source), just more convenient to use in an Android environment for now. Who likes to write angle brackets anyway? :)

Let me know what you think.
--
Jean-Sebastien

RE: Android good and bad news

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Android good and bad news

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.
Hi Jean,

Thanks for the reply :-)

- How about adding the android plugin to the Maven build? that should make
it easier for all to build it, run tests etc as running the Android tools
manually in Eclipse is not a very reliable and repeatable process. I can
help you set up the pom.xml files if you want and give me the Android
commands to run.

What do you mean by android plugin? The only android plugin I know is the
one for eclipse...do you mean the ant script?

Yes, we definitely need to get it automated. But I think there is a logic
sequence to be followed: we need to get it running first and when we get it
running we can automate it. Anyway, when I talk about that we need to run it
on eclipse, I'm talking about a good environment to develop, maven is good
for automation, but not for developing (modifing code, debugging, etc) : (

- To work around the XML parsing limitations... well maybe for now we don't
need XML in the first place. When we process an SCA contribution, instead of
looking for foo.composite for example, we could look for and execute a
"FooComposite" Java class, which would create the Composite model for 'foo'
using the Java model APIs from tuscany-assembly (like some test cases
already do). In a way that Java class would just be another representation
of the composite (as Java source), just more convenient to use in an Android
environment for now. Who likes to write angle brackets anyway? :)

I agree with you : )...but do not mix not using XML as user and not using
XML in SCA code. The first one we are already doing, because we are trying
to run the calculator2 and it doesn't use XML files. The second one would be
to remove every reference to stax api and xml api code in tuscany code.
There are a bunch of methods, constructors and etc that requires XML classes
as arguments, so we would need to redesign it. I think it's easier and
safier to find a workaround for the --core-library problem than modify the
tuscany sca code.

What do you think?! :)

Best Regards,
Adriano Crestani