Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Defryn, Guy" <G....@massey.ac.nz> on 2002/01/17 02:30:26 UTC

RE: .htaccess problems step 1

Thanks. We will start with the Error Document

In the httpd.conf file:

Documentroot "/usr/local/www/data"

Alias /nz "usr/local/www/nz"

<Directory "/usr/local/www/nz">
Options Indexes Multiviews
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
Allow from All
</Directory>

#All other settings are the default ones

I have no settings in srm.conf

Contents of my .httaccess (/usr/local/www/nz)

#Error document
ErrorDocument 404 /error.html

The webpage works fine but I don't get the custom error page

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Defryn, Guy [mailto:G.P.Defryn@massey.ac.nz]

> Thanks. We will start with the Error Document
>
> In the httpd.conf file:
>
> Documentroot "/usr/local/www/data"
>
> Alias /nz "usr/local/www/nz"
>
> <Directory "/usr/local/www/nz">
> Options Indexes Multiviews
> AllowOverride All
> Order allow,deny
> Allow from All
> </Directory>
>
> #All other settings are the default ones
>
> I have no settings in srm.conf
>
> Contents of my .httaccess (/usr/local/www/nz)
>
> #Error document
> ErrorDocument 404 /error.html
>

> The webpage works fine but I don't get the custom error page

Okay.  That's a better start.  But I still have a question: Do you get the
MSIE "friendly" error page, or do you get the Apache canned error response.
If the former, make sure that error.html is "big enough" (pad it with a
bunch of space if necessary).  If the latter, where in httpd.conf have you
placed the ErrorDocument directive?  What does the error log say?

If this is a publically-accessible site, you could give the URL so that we
could test it.

Joshua.