Posted to user@ant.apache.org by bo...@intalio.com on 2000/10/14 00:04:31 UTC

Modifying properties

Hello,

I have a question which has certainly been covered before on this list,
but I couldn't find any mailing list archive.  <hint, hint!>

Basically, I would like to be able to modify properties *after* they have
been set during initialization (after the "init" target).   I understand
the rational of being able to override properties in a top-level project,
but preventing modification of properties seems very restrictive to me.

---

Here's the context.  I'm building a project where I have a target to
compile my Java sources, generate a .jar file and commit it in CVS.

I would like this target to automatically increment the version number of
my .jar file, every time it's run.

project-0.1.jar
project-0.2.jar
project-0.3.jar

I have a VERSION property file which is read at startup, such as:

version=0.2

And I have defined a task to increment this version number.

Now, I would like to be able to re-read the property file after it's been
read during initialization and after it's been incremented by my
custom task.  But I can't seem to do that... :(

Maybe I'm doing thing the wrong way.  Anybody has suggestions on how I
could increment my property?

cheers!
alex.