Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org> on 2016/01/27 02:17:19 UTC

"The overhead of reviewing and testing"

Hi,

In these days, does REEF project have any limitations or minimum
requirements about contributions?

I've never thought I made a burden to REEF community, but, when I made the
following four issues and PRs yesterday and I received a phrase, "The
overhead of reviewing and testing", from a reviewer. Of course, I know the
good intention of that, but I'm just wondering if that is really true.

[REEF-1150] Use `static` members properly by removing access by `instance`
reference
[REEF-1151] Remove illformed `String.format` usage in
TestClassHierarchyRoundTrip
[REEF-1152] Remove duplicate plugin declaration in reef-vortex.
[REEF-1153] Fix typos in class/function names

In fact, during last eight weeks, I'm the one who consumed 22 PRs. I don't
think REEF community is overwhelmed by 'the overhead of reviewing and
testing' at all. The size of queue of PRs is very short.

$ git log --since=8.weeks --pretty=format:"%ce" | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr
| head -n 5
  22 dongjoon@apache.org
  20 weimer@apache.org
  18 mariia@apache.org
  11 afchung90@gmail.com
   6 yunseong@apache.org

Let's go back to the first question. Actually, we don't have anything like
that. If there is any limitation or minimum requirements for PRs, that
will be a hurdle for REEF newcomers.

IMHO, if we really face `the overhead of reviewing and testing`, it's not a
problem of contributors of those PRs. It's a problem of lack of reviewer
pool. Every committers (including PMCs) should try to do reviews. That is
the difference between a committer and a contributor.

On more thing, you can give my PRs '-1' after fast reviews, too.  :)

Warmly,
Dongjoon.

Re: "The overhead of reviewing and testing"

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
On 2016-01-27 10:13, Andrew Chung wrote:
>     2. blocking a PR based on work outside of the scope of the PR itself or
>     posing hard questions to a contributor (automating typo detection, in this
>     case) may make the new contributors feel unwelcome.

Ah, thanks! I completely missed that.

> [...]
> Ideally, I would prefer harder discussions to be moved to the mailing list
> and/or opening separate JIRA items for it and move the discussion there

+1 We've done that in the past. It allows the change at hand to move
forward. It also recognizes the need for a more sustainable solution. In
those cases, we've filled the JIRA before merging the PR. That way, we
make sure that important issues aren't forgotten when the PR is closed.

Markus

Re: "The overhead of reviewing and testing"

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
On 2016-01-27 16:49, Dongjoon Hyun wrote:
> I mean '[MINOR]' tag is adapted to REEF after resolving REEF-111 (.Net CI)
> and REEF-1040 (WatchTest failures)?

+1 from my side. We should define what [MINOR] shall mean, such that
contributors have a clear idea when to use it.

Gon: Have you ever written down what it means in your projects? Can we
steal that definition for REEF's contributor guide?

Markus

Re: "The overhead of reviewing and testing"

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.
That sounds great!

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
I see. Thanks for letting us know.
The CI setup's really valuable to the community.

Thanks.
-Gon

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: "The overhead of reviewing and testing"

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: "The overhead of reviewing and testing"

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 4:08 AM, Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de> wrote:

> On 2016-01-27 10:53, Dongjoon Hyun wrote:
>
>> Specially, item 4 needed `Deprecation process` due to the change of
>> `public` functions.
>>

> Yes. I believe *that* overhead is what sparked the whole conversation.
> Fortunately, we have production level users even in the current 0.x days.
> At the same time, our code base shows signs of rapid growth, which prompt
> us to do all sorts of cleanup work which sometimes breaks users.
>
> So far, we've made the promise not to break any `public` API in between
> releases. This creates a constant tension between the cost of maintaining
> this promise and the agility of our development. This is most annoying in
> the case of trivial changes like a mere rename, which can really spiral out
> of control:
>
>  * in 0.x, introduce the new name, deprecate the old one and document
>    it all. Maintain two sets of tests, one per name. File a JIRA to
>    remove the old code in release 0.x+1, link it all up correctly.
>  * in 0.x+1, remove the old code and tests of it.
>
> With the current release frequency, the two steps happen with at least a
> month in between them. This makes it very hard for people to muster up the
> motivation and discipline to follow through on those.

The deprecation process is really painful. At the end of the day, we're
discouraging people to pay attention to such code parts. Thanks to Dongjoon
and others who've been taking the painful tasks!

> For the .NET side, we've decided to break this promise in 0.14 as there
> were just too many small, breaking changes to first deprecate and then fix
> in 0.15. Instead, we just collect them as breaking changes for the release
> notes.
>
> Maybe we need to make that the rule instead of the exception? As in: we
> break APIs in between releases, but document these breakages? Especially
> until a 1.0, that could be an OK thing to do?

I'm fine with the suggestion. What do the clients of REEF in production
think?

For new public APIs, we're using "@Unstable" annotations extensively if the
APIs might change in the future. Breaking @Unstable public APIs should be
fine.

It's good to have a release note that describes changes. But this will give
more work to release managers.

Back to the [MINOR] tag. I think this has a value. If we have small code or
comment changes (e.g., fix typos not involving important public APIs or
deprecated methods), we can treat the tag as a signal not to run tests
locally if the CI tests pass. To me, running tests locally is the most
time-consuming part for small changes. Reviewing small changes and merging
them can be quickly done.
The tag is declared by a contributor. The reviewer can check the changes
are actually minor or not in the review process.

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: "The overhead of reviewing and testing"

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.
Thank you, Julia.

That guideline sounds reasonable and good. I also usually do not mix of
them.
By the way, unfortunately, all the following items are not MINOR, then.

1. [REEF-1150] Use `static` members properly by removing access by
`instance` reference 2. [REEF-1151] Remove illformed `String.format` usage
in TestClassHierarchyRoundTrip
3. [REEF-1152] Remove duplicate plugin declaration in reef-vortex.
4. [REEF-1153] Fix typos in class/function names

Specially, item 4 needed `Deprecation process` due to the change of
`public` functions.

Dongjoon.

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Julia Wang (QIUHE) <
Qiuhe.Wang@microsoft.com> wrote:

> The cost for a review includes
> -Review code content
> -Checkout the branch, build and testing
> -Rebase
> -Merge/push
>
> We had quite some discussions before. Mainly on the other side, when
> content covers too broader areas, it makes code review difficult. So we
> tend to split a big PR into a few smaller one so that it is easy for
> reviewer. For contributor, it decreases the working efficiency as keep
> merging takes time.
> However, when a PR is too small, like fix a typo or couple of lines
> change, the reviewer would take much longer time for testing and merge
> compared with the small change.
> So we just need to find a balance point when creating a PR, except for
> blocking issues or the change nature only involves one line like version
> change.
> One principle that Markus always insists is to separate typo, style and
> syntax change from feature changes. That makes sense because the former
> usually involves a lot of files. If we know it is syntax only, the review
> can be pretty quick.
>
> Thanks,
> Julia

1. [REEF-1150] Use `static` members properly by removing access by `instance` reference 2. [REEF-1151] Remove illformed `String.format` usage in TestClassHierarchyRoundTrip 3. [REEF-1152] Remove duplicate plugin declaration in reef-vortex.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.
Thank you, Gon and Andrew.

[...]

<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/reef-dev/201510.mbox/%3CCAFu6yH3kiX%2BYpHPVGETXoN91MYMfckQviqM7a8%2BHzQRCNROdLA%40mail.gmail.com%3E>
'.

Posted by Andrew Chung <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: "The overhead of reviewing and testing"

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.