Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "HARRIS, DAIN" <dh...@att.com> on 2012/02/10 23:19:13 UTC

[users@httpd] Upgrading from httpd 2.2.3 to 2.2.22

Greetings comrades!  I'm currently administering a rather impressive system and I've been tasked with upgrading & patching many applications that have been needing upgrades for some time now.  One of them happens to be httpd Apache that's currently running on RHEL 5 @ version 2.2.3 ( httpd-2.2.3-53.el5_7.3 ).  I've worked with Red Hat in the past but I'm a bit rusty, and I haven't encountered a task like this yet.  All I want to do is upgrade from version 2.2.3 to 2.2.22, ideally overwriting the existing version and retaining all data / conf files / directory structure.  Here's a small list of where I'm at so far:

Downloaded the current version httpd 2.2.22 from Apache.org
Verified with md5 checksum
Configured as   ./configure - -prefix /etc/httpd/
Make
Make install

Apache installs the new version to the existing /etc/httpd/ directory, but the command ' service httpd start ' still runs the old version of Apache.  Also this command, httpd -V,  still outputs the old version of Apache as 2.2.3;

Is there more tweaking needed in the OS to tell Apache where the new install is?  I shouldn't need to remove the old version first, then install the new version should I?

Best Regards,

Dain Harris - Systems Engineer - Modelshop - AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets
1277 Lenox Park BLVD NE Office 3A49, Atlanta GA 30319
Office (404)499-7094 - Mobile (954)600-0090

Re: [users@httpd] Upgrading from httpd 2.2.3 to 2.2.22

Posted by Ishita Kapadiya <is...@gmail.com>.
perhaps you are looking for this --

The first step in upgrading is to read the release announcement and
the file CHANGES in the source distribution to find any changes that
may affect your site. When changing between major releases (for
example, from 1.3 to 2.0 or from 2.0 to 2.2), there will likely be
major differences in the compile-time and run-time configuration that
will require manual adjustments. All modules will also need to be
upgraded to accomodate changes in the module API.

Upgrading from one minor version to the next (for example, from 2.2.55
to 2.2.57) is easier. The make install process will not overwrite any
of your existing documents, log files, or configuration files. In
addition, the developers make every effort to avoid incompatible
changes in the configure options, run-time configuration, or the
module API between minor versions. In most cases you should be able to
use an identical configure command line, an identical configuration
file, and all of your modules should continue to work.

To upgrade across minor versions, start by finding the file
config.nice in the build directory of your installed server or at the
root of the source tree for your old install. This will contain the
exact configure command line that you used to configure the source
tree. Then to upgrade from one version to the next, you need only copy
the config.nice file to the source tree of the new version, edit it to
make any desired changes, and then run:

$ ./config.nice
$ make
$ make install