Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com> on 2004/08/20 18:52:20 UTC

[VOTE] on repository layout

Re: [VOTE] on repository layout

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: [VOTE] on repository layout

Posted by Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.
I hope going forward to see stable and development branches for the
code, and it
seems less confusing to separate out the stuff that need not be branched
with the code.
I vote for option 1

Mike Matrigali

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: testing - pls ignore

Posted by Suresh Thalamati <ts...@Source-Zone.org>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> One more time, to confirm that I have finally beat my mail program
> into submission.

u did.

testing - pls ignore

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <fu...@nonintuitive.com>.

Posted by Cloudscape Testing <fu...@nonintuitive.com>.
Looks like my mail program decided to reset my username for me.
Hopefully this will go through as Andrew McIntyre instead of Cloudscape
Testing. :)

I vote for option 1, because I would think that a developer who is
checking out the code from svn should be able to check out one
directory (in this case, derby/code) and get everything necessary to
build a binary distribution and nothing more.

That means though, that I would include the user documentation in the
code part of the repository, since we would want to keep that in sync
with the code that it documents. The developer would also then have the
current doc set in their build tree for reference, and a person could
build a full binary distribution from the source distribution.

Are there source files for the docs, which are then generated by
forrest? If so, I would think the repository would look something like:

derby/code {trunk/branches/tags}
- derby code
- derby tests
- compiled user documentation

derby/site {trunk/branches/tags}
- website pages
- source for derby documentatio
- derby technical papers

my .02$,
andrew

Re: [VOTE] on repository layout

Posted by Satheesh Bandaram <sa...@sourcery.org>.
I like the option 1 too, if I am not too late to VOTE.

Satheesh

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <fu...@nonintuitive.com>.
On Aug 20, 2004, at 4:56 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> The 5 books I just checked in are composed of 640 source files (the
> sixth book adds 113 files).
>
> I agree this isn't the most optimal approach, but the individual who
> generated the files has been on vacation. The fastest way to get out of
> the starting gate with docs when the code gets posted is to put on the
> web site what is available now -- and discuss a more optimal
> organization later.

Then yes, considering the number of files, I suggest checking in the
source for the docs to derby/site, keeping the compiled docs out of
derby/code for now, and figuring out a better way to generate the docs
at a later date.

andrew

Re: [VOTE] on repository layout

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 16:40, Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> Not to get too far off-topic here, but:
> How many files are in the compiled documentation? As the number of
> files goes up, the value of including all of those files in the tree
> with the source goes down, particularly if they are available on the
> website.
>
> Would it be possible to have them output as a single file per book? If
> it were only 5 or 6 files, it would still be worthwhile (meaning: not
> annoying) to have the documentation versioned along with the source it
> documents.

The 5 books I just checked in are composed of 640 source files (the
sixth book adds 113 files).

I agree this isn't the most optimal approach, but the individual who
generated the files has been on vacation. The fastest way to get out of
the starting gate with docs when the code gets posted is to put on the
web site what is available now -- and discuss a more optimal
organization later.

 -jean

Re: [VOTE] on repository layout

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <fu...@nonintuitive.com>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
I vote for number 1 to keep the site separate from the code as a
practical issue for managing the Derby documentation.

In other email, Andrew <fu...@nonintuitive.com> asked:
> Are there source files for the docs, which are then generated by
> forrest? If so, I would think the repository would look something
like:

The 6 Cloudscape manuals were converted for Derby into a format
consumable by forrest, so initially I'm including them in the Derby site
itself (http://incubator.apache.org/derby) -- in fact I just checked 5
of the manuals into the repository, where they await our Rodent of
Unusual Size's magic incantation to become visible on the site itself.
But instead of one file per book, they are organized into many files per
book. forrest consumes the files in the src tree and spits out html
files into the build tree -- and the result is so very many files that
the Derby community may want to revisit this later.

I initialized the site with the default forrest structure -- and this
too could be revisited later.

 -jean

Posted by Jason Rimmer <jr...@irth.net>.
	While I've used svn a fair amount I am not a committer so take my vote
with a grain of salt.
	Option 1.

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

--
Jason Rimmer
jrimmer at irth dot net

Re: [VOTE] on repository layout

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@Sourcery.Org>.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] on repository layout

Posted by Steen Jansdal <st...@jansdal.dk>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

So now that it's decided, please check in the code :-)

We can't wait any longer.....

[RESULT] [VOTE] on repository layout

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: [VOTE] on repository layout