Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ri...@bt.com on 2013/04/08 10:55:52 UTC

[users@httpd] AuthDBMGroupFile in v2.4 - being ignored?

Hi,

I am using v2.4.4 of httpd compiled by ApacheLounge (running on Windows Server 2003, in case that's significant) and am trying to get the "Require group" directive working with basic authentication and the "dbm" provider.  I've uncommented the LoadModule lines relating to mod_authn_dbm and mod_authz_dbm and my configuration includes the following:

<Directory "C:/Apache24/site/feedback">
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Secure Area"
AuthBasicProvider dbm
AuthDBMUserFile site/data/users
AuthDBMGroupFile site/data/users
Require group admin
</Directory>

(Note that site/data is not accessible via the webserver.)

Even though the AuthDBMGroupFile directive is clearly understood (httpd -t responds "Syntax OK" and the server starts successfully), it appears to be ignored or something else is trying to find a group file by other means, as the error in the log file is:

AH01664: No group file was specified in the configuration

Looking at the mod_authz_dbm documentation at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_authz_dbm.html#authdbmgroupfile I'm as sure as I can be that I'm using it as described, but it just doesn't seem to work!

It's probably worth mentioning that in other directories I've used the same configuration but instead of "Require group admin" I've used "Require valid-user" and that works fine, so site/data/users is OK.  I've also tried commenting out the LoadModule lines relating to mod_authn_file (commenting out has no effect when using only "dbm" as a provider) and mod_authz_groupfile (appears to be required for "Require group" to work, since httpd -t complains when it's commented out).

Any pointers would be appreciated on whether my configuration looks incorrect or what the problem might be.

Many thanks,

Richard

RE: [users@httpd] AuthDBMGroupFile in v2.4 - being ignored?

Posted by ri...@bt.com.
Fantastic - thanks very much!  That's exactly what I needed to know.  :-)

Richard

mod_authz_dbm responds to Require dbm-group (and dbm-file-group) only in 2.4 which seems to be a change from 2.2.

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 4:55 AM,  <ri...@bt.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using v2.4.4 of httpd compiled by ApacheLounge (running on Windows Server 2003, in case that's significant) and am trying to get the "Require group" directive working with basic authentication and the "dbm" provider.  I've uncommented the LoadModule lines relating to mod_authn_dbm and mod_authz_dbm and my configuration includes the following:
>
> <Directory "C:/Apache24/site/feedback"> AuthType Basic AuthName
> "Secure Area"
> AuthBasicProvider dbm
> AuthDBMUserFile site/data/users
> AuthDBMGroupFile site/data/users
> Require group admin
> </Directory>
>
> (Note that site/data is not accessible via the webserver.)
>
> Even though the AuthDBMGroupFile directive is clearly understood (httpd -t responds "Syntax OK" and the server starts successfully), it appears to be ignored or something else is trying to find a group file by other means, as the error in the log file is:
>
> AH01664: No group file was specified in the configuration
>
> Looking at the mod_authz_dbm documentation at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_authz_dbm.html#authdbmgroupfile I'm as sure as I can be that I'm using it as described, but it just doesn't seem to work!
>
> It's probably worth mentioning that in other directories I've used the same configuration but instead of "Require group admin" I've used "Require valid-user" and that works fine, so site/data/users is OK.  I've also tried commenting out the LoadModule lines relating to mod_authn_file (commenting out has no effect when using only "dbm" as a provider) and mod_authz_groupfile (appears to be required for "Require group" to work, since httpd -t complains when it's commented out).
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated on whether my configuration looks incorrect or what the problem might be.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Richard

Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] AuthDBMGroupFile in v2.4 - being ignored?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
mod_authz_dbm responds to Require dbm-group (and dbm-file-group) only
in 2.4 which seems to be a change from 2.2.

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 4:55 AM,  <ri...@bt.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using v2.4.4 of httpd compiled by ApacheLounge (running on Windows Server 2003, in case that's significant) and am trying to get the "Require group" directive working with basic authentication and the "dbm" provider.  I've uncommented the LoadModule lines relating to mod_authn_dbm and mod_authz_dbm and my configuration includes the following:
>
> <Directory "C:/Apache24/site/feedback">
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "Secure Area"
> AuthBasicProvider dbm
> AuthDBMUserFile site/data/users
> AuthDBMGroupFile site/data/users
> Require group admin
> </Directory>
>
> (Note that site/data is not accessible via the webserver.)
>
> Even though the AuthDBMGroupFile directive is clearly understood (httpd -t responds "Syntax OK" and the server starts successfully), it appears to be ignored or something else is trying to find a group file by other means, as the error in the log file is:
>
> AH01664: No group file was specified in the configuration
>
> Looking at the mod_authz_dbm documentation at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_authz_dbm.html#authdbmgroupfile I'm as sure as I can be that I'm using it as described, but it just doesn't seem to work!
>
> It's probably worth mentioning that in other directories I've used the same configuration but instead of "Require group admin" I've used "Require valid-user" and that works fine, so site/data/users is OK.  I've also tried commenting out the LoadModule lines relating to mod_authn_file (commenting out has no effect when using only "dbm" as a provider) and mod_authz_groupfile (appears to be required for "Require group" to work, since httpd -t complains when it's commented out).
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated on whether my configuration looks incorrect or what the problem might be.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Richard

Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com