Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> on 2015/11/16 20:05:36 UTC

Bigtop provisioner for other distros

Hello.

I've been looking at [1] and have noticed that we only provide centos6 and
debian8 deploy images. I am not sure how much demand is there to have centos7
and ubuntu14 images as well? Just curious...

Also, I have updated the page a little bit with the instruction to change the
image name while changing the repo location.

Cos

[1]  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/Bigtop+Provisioner+User+Guide

Re: Bigtop provisioner for other distros

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 02:28PM, Evans Ye wrote:
> We can add centos 7 and ubuntu 14, to do so we need to prepare vagrant ssh
> key inserted and ssh enabled images
>
> However, I was doing PoC to drop Vagrant and move to docker's native
> docker-compose solution for our Docker Provisioner. In this way any kind of
> images are OK for deployment.
>
> Cos, do you need this feature available to meet some schedule?

No, not at all: no schedule nor hidden agendas ;) A plain curiosity

> > I personally would like to have centos 6 still supported because our
> > company is still using it, but I agree that from Bigtop's perspective we
> > should move to centos 7 for sure.
> >
> > I propose that for recently releases, if there's an issue regarding to
> > centos 6 which is blocking us moving forward, and I can't solve it or I'm
> > keeping silence, then we drop centos 6 support.
> > Is that OK?

We haven't yet seen any issue with centos6 deployment, did we? Perhaps,
there's no reason to drop it if it doesn't cause troubles. And having such a
volunteer maintainer is surely reassuring!

Cos

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.