Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Benner <Mi...@gifts.com> on 2007/04/28 01:26:41 UTC

[users@httpd] intermittent problems with mod_deflate compression

Hi.  I'm having some intermittent issues with the Apache mod_deflate compression.  When I have compression turned on (please see my configuration snippet below), my pages load fairly slowly and I occassionally receive a popup prompt to save the page because it's been returned as type "application/octet-stream".  When I turn off the compression, everything is fast and perfectly normal.

It appears, although I'm not 100% certain (and I hope this isn't a red herring), that it may be related to situations in which Apache returns an HTTP Response Code 304 for javascript or CSS files.  It seems that the 'text/html' content is coming back fine, but JavaScript and CSS have troubles.

I'm using Apache version 2.0.59 on Linux Red Hat and Firefox 1.5.0.11 on Windows.  Has anyone else experienced anything like this?  I haven't been able to find an answer to this problem yet.  thanks!

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>

        SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

        # Can be set 1-9 (just like gzip)
        DeflateCompressionLevel 2

        # Netscape 4.x has some problems...
        BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html

        # Netscape 4.06-4.08 have some more problems
        BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip

        # MSIE masquerades as Netscape, but it is fine
        BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

        # NOTE: Due to a bug in mod_setenvif up to Apache 2.0.48
        # the above regex won't work. You can use the following
        # workaround to get the desired effect:
        BrowserMatch \bMSI[E] !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

        # Don't compress images
        SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
        \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png|zip|gz|swf|vcs|ico)$ no-gzip dont-vary

        # Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
        Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

</IfModule>

Michael Benner | gifts.com
8833 Sunset Blvd, 3rd Floor, West Hollywood, CA 90069