Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by George Sexton <gs...@mhsoftware.com> on 2006/02/13 19:00:49 UTC

OT: Example of Flaky Problems with Microsoft Products

In another thread I commented on strange behaviors when dealing with MS
Products, and the time that they eat in projects. Here is an example:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824106

"For any row in the ResultSet, you can read any column from left to right,
and each column should be read only one time. If you try to read columns out
of order, or if you re-read a column from the ResultSet, you may receive the
error message that the "Symptoms" section describes."

Pretty much the same issue was present in ADO 6-8 years ago.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/
Voice: 303 438 9585

RE: Example of Flaky Problems with Microsoft Products

Posted by George Sexton <gs...@mhsoftware.com>.

Reminds me of C Programming days. The standard library said that the
gettime() function had to return the best possible representation of the
current time since the OS started. A lot of libraries just returned 0
(especially in the embedded arena). It was their best approximation, and it
met the spec, but it still sucked.

Posted by Len Popp <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wade Chandler <hw...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca>.

Posted by George Sexton <gs...@mhsoftware.com>.
I've never ran into this problem in PostgreSQL. Note that its also dependent
upon the presence of a BLOB.

So, if someone adds a field to your table, BANG! Your application will start
dying.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/