Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Joel Schuster <jo...@Navsys.com> on 2009/06/30 17:34:02 UTC

iPojo as WebService

I'd like to expose my iPojo as a WebService.

I'm using the Distributed OSGi single bundle from apache cxf: http://cxf.apache.org/distributed-osgi.html

Based on what I read, (http://cxf.apache.org/dosgi-ds-demo-page.html) theoretically I should be able to take a working iPojo based service and add add a few @ServiceProperties and deploy a .cfg file with FileInstall bundle:

osgi.remote.interfaces=*
osgi.remote.configuration.type=pojo
osgi.remote.configuration.pojo.address=http://localhost:9090/mypojoservice

Has anyone tried this or something similar without having to add the overhead of going all the way to ServiceMix?

Any help would be appreciated.

- Joel

Re: iPojo as WebService

Posted by Clement Escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.
On 02.07.2009, at 16:06, David Bosschaert wrote:

> If you still have the problem with trunk, please file an issue with
> the Distributed OSGi component at CXF:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF

Hi,

I use the trunk of Felix and CXF both with the single and multi
distribution and it works. The issue was about hooks that was not
correctly called, but this is fixed in the Felix trunk.

Regards,

Clement

Re: iPojo as WebService

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: iPojo as WebService

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Joel Schuster<jo...@navsys.com> wrote:
> Thanks all, I've figured out what I needed to get things working...
>
> However, I've been forced to use the single bundle distro 1.0 of cxf and therefore the old spec for properties.
>
> When I use the 1.1 SNAPSHOT something gets messed up so that the Shell TUI stops working. I'm looking into some sort of conflict with the felix' webconsole bundle and/or the felix.http.jetty bundle.
>
> Should I just move to felix 1.8.1?

You might have to move to trunk.

regards,

Karl

> - Joel

Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: iPojo as WebService

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for jumping in late to this thread, but I'm glad you got it to work :)
Just to confirm, under normal conditions, CXF/DOSGi doesn't require
any Java annotation on your service to make it available as a Web
Service. Setting the service registration properties should be enough.

One thing to note is that quite a number of fixes went in to CXF/DOSGi
since its 1.0 release. Specifically a number of fixes that apply to
using it from Declarative Services, which may also be applicable to
iPOJO usage. So the best thing is to try CXF/DOSGi 1.1-SNAPSHOT if
you're having problems with 1.0.
We have to wait for CXF 2.2.3 to be released before we can release
CXF/DOSGi 1.1. Hopefully this will happen in August...

Cheers,

David

RE: iPojo as WebService

Posted by Joel Schuster <jo...@Navsys.com>.

Re: iPojo as WebService

Posted by Clement Escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: iPojo as WebService

Posted by Clement Escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.
On 01.07.2009, at 20:02, Richard S. Hall wrote:

> On 7/1/09 1:39 PM, Clement Escoffier wrote:
>> Last things, to work I started two gateway:
>> - Felix 1.8.1 with iPOJO, Compendium, CXF (Snapshot) single bundle,
>> AdderServiceInterface and AdderServiceProvider
>> - Equinox 3.5 with iPOJO, OSGi service, OSGi Utils, CXF (Snapshot)
>> single bundle, AdderServiceInterface, AdderServiceImporter and
>> AdderServiceConsumer
>>
>> For some strange reason, I was not able to import the service from
>> Felix... Maybe a detail of CXF that I ignore. equinox 3.5 is
>> required as CXF relies on ServiceHooks.
>
> Felix has implemented the service hooks needed by CXF for a little
> while now, I think. Trunk has full support, although I have some
> outstanding patches to commit for the TCK.

The issue comes not from the service hooks. It sounds like CXF does
not take the remote-service.xml file from my importer bundle.

Clement

Re: iPojo as WebService

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: iPojo as WebService

Posted by Clement Escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I quickly implemented an example using CXF and iPOJO:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/felix/sandbox/clement/ipojo-tutorials/dosgi/

So, the example is very close to the Adder Declarative Service tutorial.

However, some explanations may be useful:
- The AdderServiceInterface bundle exports the AdderService interface
and has to be deployed on both framework

- The AdderServiceProvider declares a component exposing the
AdderService. It also creates an instance of this component. The
component type enables property propagation, and the instance
declaration defines all the required properties :
<instance
component="org.apache.felix.ipojo.remote.adder.impl.AdderServiceImpl">
		<property name="osgi.remote.interfaces" value="*"/>
   		<property name="osgi.remote.configuration.type" value="pojo" />
   		<property name="osgi.remote.configuration.pojo.address" value="http://localhost:9090/adder
" />
</instance>
By using this way, the "remote" aspect does not impact the
implementation at all.

- The AdderServiceImporter is a bundle containing only the remote-
service.xml file. So, this bundle is deployed on the second (client)
framework and will enabled the remote service import.

- The AdderServiceConsumer contains a very simple component using the
AdderService as a regular local service.

Re: iPojo as WebService

Posted by Clement Escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 30.06.2009, at 20:41, Joel Schuster wrote:

> Great, thanks!
>
> I can't get it to work at all. This actually may be more a question
> then for the CXF people, just let me know. I'm not sure which
> properties to set. Based on what you see on those links I referred
> to, @ServiceProperty is the correct annotation to use, right?

Yes, you can check that your service properties is correctly set with
the Felix shell (services x (bundle id) and check that the service is
provided with the property) or with the webconsole.

Then CXF should detect this property and exposes it as a web service.

> Do you know of a single bundle solution that iPojo integrates easily
> with? I'd like to just provide a simple annotation or config
> property and have it just make my service available automatically.

As far as I understand Distributed Service, you should just register
your service with a specific service property. The instance
configuration gives the property value.

> Why did you make the decision to write your own?

In fact, it it a former project that I started 3 years ( I used KSOAP
and / or XFIRE) ago when I was in France, and that is still supported
by my former group, and they did a lot of progress. It almost
implements all the Distributed Service specification, and should
become open source soon (under discussion).

Clement

RE: iPojo as WebService

Posted by Joel Schuster <jo...@Navsys.com>.
Great, thanks!