Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> on 2013/10/30 09:56:11 UTC

Docker?

Hi,

Docker[1] seems to be all the rage these days and has breathed new life
in LXC. Is there any interest whatsoever from the devs to support for
it?
I noticed it has already landed in the other stack.

Lucian

[1] - http://www.docker.io/

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: Docker?

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

On 11/03/2013 03:19 PM, David Nalley wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> wrote:
>>

>> On 10/30/2013 02:18 PM, Nguyen Anh Tu wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm starting look into docker's architecture and figure out how it plays
>>> with lxc and openstack at that moment. Will try to figure some of key
>>> points before the CCC13 start, so we can discuss directly at there.
>>>

>> That would be VERY nice. Docker seems to be very nice. A cool integration
>> with LXC in CloudStack would be awesome.
>>

> We have LXC support in 4.2

I know, but Docker would add a lot of value to the LXC integration.

Haven't looked at the LXC integration just yet.

Wido

Re: Docker?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: Docker?

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

On 10/30/2013 02:18 PM, Nguyen Anh Tu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm starting look into docker's architecture and figure out how it plays
> with lxc and openstack at that moment. Will try to figure some of key
> points before the CCC13 start, so we can discuss directly at there.

That would be VERY nice. Docker seems to be very nice. A cool
integration with LXC in CloudStack would be awesome.

I'd love to talk about this on CCC13.

Wido

Re: Docker?

Posted by Darren Shepherd <da...@gmail.com>.
This would be a great thing to try at the CCC hackathon.  Docker poses
some interesting challenges and to do a useful integration is going to
take some careful design.  There's two things to consider.  First,
docker's #1 feature in my mind is that it is a paradigm shift.  You
interact with docker in a different way than you would EC2.  If you
attempt to make docker just another hypervisor, it just starts looking
like LXC and then has very little benefit over LXC integration.  You
need to determine how to integrate docker while still keeping its
features (like Dockerfile).

Second, docker is very limited in the networking area.  Docker as it
currently stand manages all of networking aspect which includes
assigning its own IP, random port mappings, etc.

I have a lot of ideas about this and I'd love to chat with some people
at CCC about it.  We could probably get it working at CCC I'll
probably come prepared with stuff.

Darren

RE: Docker?

Re: Docker?