Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Maurizio Rottin <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/04 16:20:56 UTC

Re: how to convert struts based apps from tomcat4 to tomcat5.5?

2009/5/30 Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:

> So, <bean:define> is basically calling news.getAbstr() (or
> news.getTitle()) and it is returning null, which throws an error.
>
> I suspect that either your news object is null, or the title or abstract
> of the news item is null. My guess is that 'news' is null.
>
> Maybe you mistyped "news" as "nzews"?
>
>> <logic:iterate scope="request" id="nzews" name="limitNewsList"
>>    length="2" offset="0">
>
> ??

we did this on purpose, to watch the tomcat versions behaviour.

Anyway we solved the problem!

as Caldarale, Charles R said it seems that "Your code may be dependent
on a bug in 4.1 that was fixed in later Tomcat levels", indeed with
version 5.5 and 6.0 tomcat throws an error. Then we traced down the
code, and we found that "abst" was actually declared as "abstract".
Now it works.

thank you!

--
mr

Re: how to convert struts based apps from tomcat4 to tomcat5.5?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: how to convert struts based apps from tomcat4 to tomcat5.5?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: how to convert struts based apps from tomcat4 to
> tomcat5.5?
>
> I'm not convinced this has anything to do with a bug in Tomcat.

May have been a bug in that Tomcat was not detecting illegal use of abstract classes prior to 5.0.  However, nothing in the changelogs for 5.5 or 6.0 show that; I can't find the changelog for 5.0 anymore.

 - Chuck

Re: how to convert struts based apps from tomcat4 to tomcat5.5?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.