Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de> on 2006/03/20 11:46:44 UTC

Current James Development and Contribution

Hi guys,

after using james for about 2 Month im really happy with it.. There are
a few bugs and features which should be fixed and added but this will
hopefully happen someday ;-)

I wonder how many commiters are on the james project cause i only see
one. This is maybe why it takes such long to get bugfixes and changes to
svn? Is there really only one ? And if it is so , the question is why..

We would to like to help develop james and make it better then it is
now. Dont get me wrong it is a very nice and stable mailserver but in
such project are every time things that can be make better or features
which should be add. We are also contribute on turbine..

If it would help we can rework the patch contributet by alex to add
maildir support and other features .. After that we could test it here.

So you guys are intressted ?

bye

Re: Current James Development and Contribution

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Norman Maurer wrote:
> I wonder how many commiters are on the james project cause i only see
> one. This is maybe why it takes such long to get bugfixes and changes to
> svn? Is there really only one ? And if it is so , the question is why..

AFAIK there are 10 committers (http://james.apache.org/weare.html + Mike
Heath and me)
In the last year I've been the most active (I've been the last one to
become committer).

I think the answer to "why" is because James has a small developer base
and it takes a few to understand how james internals works. There are no
unittests and it is SO EASY to break something if you don't understand
the whole thing.

Thanks goes to Bernd for the introduction of a few unittests that
hopefully will guide us to write more and have a better product with a
shorter release cycle.

> We would to like to help develop james and make it better then it is
> now. Dont get me wrong it is a very nice and stable mailserver but in
> such project are every time things that can be make better or features
> which should be add. We are also contribute on turbine..

You can bring your help as a contributor too! (look at the Bernd example)

> If it would help we can rework the patch contributet by alex to add
> maildir support and other features .. After that we could test it here.
>
> So you guys are intressted ?

Indeed!
Please keep in mind that we cannot ship GPL stuff with James, so if you
want to include maildir you have to do that in a modular way and add
documentation on how to download and include the maildir jar.
Unittests for new things would be appreciated (necessary?) too.

I think the best way to present yourself and your skills to other
committers is to provide good patches proving your understanding of the
project.

Furthermore there are the social/collaboration issues. You can start at
http://www.apache.org/ in the right column you'll find a "How it works"
and "Get Involved" sections.

Stefano

Re: Current James Development and Contribution

Posted by Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de>.
Am Dienstag, den 21.03.2006, 11:22 +0100 schrieb Stefano Bagnara:
> Norman Maurer wrote:
> > I wonder how many commiters are on the james project cause i only see
> > one. This is maybe why it takes such long to get bugfixes and changes to
> > svn? Is there really only one ? And if it is so , the question is why..
>
> AFAIK there are 10 committers (http://james.apache.org/weare.html + Mike
> Heath and me)
> In the last year I've been the most active (I've been the last one to
> become committer).
>
> I think the answer to "why" is because James has a small developer base
> and it takes a few to understand how james internals works. There are no
> unittests and it is SO EASY to break something if you don't understand
> the whole thing.
>
> Thanks goes to Bernd for the introduction of a few unittests that
> hopefully will guide us to write more and have a better product with a
> shorter release cycle.
>
> > We would to like to help develop james and make it better then it is
> > now. Dont get me wrong it is a very nice and stable mailserver but in
> > such project are every time things that can be make better or features
> > which should be add. We are also contribute on turbine..
>
> You can bring your help as a contributor too! (look at the Bernd example)
>
> > If it would help we can rework the patch contributet by alex to add
> > maildir support and other features .. After that we could test it here.
> >
> > So you guys are intressted ?
>
> Indeed!
> Please keep in mind that we cannot ship GPL stuff with James, so if you
> want to include maildir you have to do that in a modular way and add
> documentation on how to download and include the maildir jar.
> Unittests for new things would be appreciated (necessary?) too.
>
> I think the best way to present yourself and your skills to other
> committers is to provide good patches proving your understanding of the
> project.
>
> Furthermore there are the social/collaboration issues. You can start at
> http://www.apache.org/ in the right column you'll find a "How it works"
> and "Get Involved" sections.
>
> Stefano

> !EXCUBATOR:1,441fd4a4200621099215105!

Thx for the reply. We will have a look to the maildir patch and check
how to integrate it.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I wonder how many commiters are on the james project cause i only see
> one.

There are a number of us, but unfortunately, most are quite busy.  When I
get a chance to code on JAMES, I consider it a vacation.  I had fun last
week writing a sendmail client in python so that you can install JAMES on a
*nix system, and not need to install some other package to get the required
"sendmail" binary.  It needs more integration testing, but I will be posting
the code shortly.

Also, we take it quite seriously that JAMES be extremely stable.  When we
make a lot of changes, we tend to be unlikely to put out a new release until
after they have been very thoroughly tested.  The new work being added by
Bernd to improve testing will be a major boon to the release schedule.

> If it would help we can rework the patch contributet by alex to add
> maildir support and other features

> So you guys are intressted ?

We are always interested in seeing new contributors come along.

	--- Noel