Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Hansknecht, Deborah A" <da...@sandia.gov> on 2002/04/19 23:47:30 UTC

Apache 1.3.24 sending chunked transfer coding to 1.0 client

We are running a proxy server that does not support HTTP 1.1 ( know that
Apache mod-proxy GE 1.3.23 will support 1.1 but that is not an option for us
at this time for lots of reasons that you don't really want to know
about.<smile>)

We have encountered a web site
(http://www.versiontracker.com/mp/propageapp.m) that appears to be running
Apache 1.3.24 (at least that's what is reported in its headers) that I
believe is sending chunked transfer encoding to our 1.0 proxy. I have dumped
the packets and verified that our proxy server is sending its requests with
HTTP/1.0 in the headers. I have also verified that the packets returned to
us have "transfer-coding: chunked" in their headers. What finally gets
returned to the end user is a small piece of a page:

<META name="keywords" content="TechTracker, Tech Tracker, VersionTracker
Pro, Version Tracker Pro, macintosh software, macintosh downloads, free
software downloads, free music downloads, free screensavers, free mp3
downloads, freeware, free game downloads, movie downloads, shareware, beta,
free game demo, demo, shareware game, freeware download, window shareware,
free

I have three requests/questions:

1) I would sure appreciate it if there is anyone out there behind a
non-HTTP1.1 compliant proxy (e.g. any version of Squid, Apache 1.3.22 or
older, Netscape Proxy 3.5 or older) if they could go to the above site and
let me know if they get the same weird results.

2) Does anyone know how anyone could even force Apache to do this? I didn't
find any kind of force-UPGRADE directive. I'm having a little trouble
figuring out how this could be happening. (Maybe I not seeing what I think
I'm seeing?)

Thanks in advance for your help and ideas,

Deb

Deborah Hansknecht
Sandia National Laboratories
dahansk@sandia.gov