Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jason <ja...@etherhost.com> on 2000/09/12 23:42:23 UTC

Question on installation and location of httd.conf file.

Hi .. I hope someone can help me with this problem.

I've been assigned to install Apache::ASP and mod_perl so that one of our
client's can use a program called Hyperseek.

My biggest problem is that I'm not very familiar with the server or the Unix
environment.

Over the past few days, I've managed to install MySQL, DBI module and
DBD::mysql.  I've now run into a problem with Apache::ASP and mod_perl.

When I perform a locate test on my server (RaQ4) for mod_perl, it finds a
bunch of files.  I can also find my Apache::ASP files.

I had the automatically installed via CPAN.pm by doing an install mod_perl
and install Bundle::Apache command.

According to tutorials, I need to edit my httpd.conf file in order activate
Apache and mod_perl.   The problem is that when I try to locate my
httpd.conf file, I can't find it. I also do not have a /usr/local/Apache
folder.  Does this mean Apache isn't installed??

I'm really confused.  Can anyone help me?  Also, is there a way to test that
Apache::ASP and mod_perl are correctly installed and can run scripts?

Your help is very much appreciated.

-- Jason Ables

Re: Question on installation and location of httd.conf file.

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
What Victor said is right.  In general, you need to know how
to run your OS, and admin apache to set up mod_perl +
Apache::ASP.  Using this environment requires a bit of a
learning curve on the various underlying technologies.

That said, I don't know if you will be able to run your
Hyperseek program... if its an "ASP" program, then it might
be written for VBScript, in which case you are out of luck
because Apache::ASP supports perl scripting only at
the moment.

Best of luck.

-- Joshua
Joshua Chamas			        Chamas Enterprises Inc.
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring	Huntington Beach, CA  USA

Posted by "Victor Michael D. Blancas" <mi...@iconverge.com>.

Mike

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Jason wrote:

> Hi .. I hope someone can help me with this problem.
>
> I've been assigned to install Apache::ASP and mod_perl so that one of our
> client's can use a program called Hyperseek.
>
> My biggest problem is that I'm not very familiar with the server or the Unix
> environment.
>
> Over the past few days, I've managed to install MySQL, DBI module and
> DBD::mysql.  I've now run into a problem with Apache::ASP and mod_perl.
>
> When I perform a locate test on my server (RaQ4) for mod_perl, it finds a
> bunch of files.  I can also find my Apache::ASP files.
>
> I had the automatically installed via CPAN.pm by doing an install mod_perl
> and install Bundle::Apache command.
>
> According to tutorials, I need to edit my httpd.conf file in order activate
> Apache and mod_perl.   The problem is that when I try to locate my
> httpd.conf file, I can't find it. I also do not have a /usr/local/Apache
> folder.  Does this mean Apache isn't installed??

your httpd.conf might be located somewhere in /etc.
a sample config for Apache::ASP also comes with the package.

> I'm really confused.  Can anyone help me?  Also, is there a way to test that
> Apache::ASP and mod_perl are correctly installed and can run scripts?

there are a lot of examples that comes with the module.