Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2014/11/29 20:55:50 UTC

RE: [PROPOSAL] [DISCUSSION] Corinthia Abstract

I put together an abstract in the Corinthia Podling Proposal.  It is a bit lengthy and requires review that it captures the essence of what Corinthia is for without over/under-stepping.

Here is the text also added to <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CorinthiaProposal>,

"""
Corinthia converts among document file formats via transformation through an HTML-grounded intermediary.  The selection of document file formats is expandable by addition of import and export plugins.

Editing in Corinthia is via a responsive editor, implemented in JavaScript and HTML (CSS), that works on the web, in the cloud, and also adapts across device form factors for practical use on mobile devices, tablets, and touch-enabled as well as keyboard-oriented interfaces.  Corinthia document viewing and editing is on the intermediate form, limited to common, widely-supported features. Corinthia is not a comprehensive substitute for format-specific authoring, editing, and final-form printing/production software.

To avoid irreversible loss of features from imported documents, Corinthia encapsulates unsupported feature occurrences in a form that can be recovered from the intermediate as part of subsequent export to the same or different format.

Identification and confirmation of inter-convertible features of different formats for dependable import and export involves development of extensive test documents in the different formats.  There is profiling of the extent to which standardized formats are supported in practice, with identification of deviations and implementation-dependent choices that impact convertibility.

All of the Corinthia test cases, profiling, plugin development, libraries, and utilities are reusable resources to other projects.  All development of source-code for binaries is in portable C Language for multi-platform compilation as well as API "wrapping" for delivery to other programming models, such as for Python, .NET, Java, and Node.js.  Document format file import and export plugins may be adaptable as import-export extensions used with other document-processing software.
"""

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 2 December 2014 at 15:18, Monosoft Mapple <a_...@icloud.com> wrote:

> 🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽

Wow seems somebody have a very strong picturesque opinion...maybe someone
who wants to sell closed source instead of providing opensource.

Anyway, if a_guccioo has some serious points I expect we will hear from him
in a more serious way, until then I assume the mail to be a mistake.

rgds
jan i.

Posted by Monosoft Mapple <a_...@icloud.com>.
🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Ian C <ia...@amham.net>.
Hi Jan,

I'm a programmer.

--
Cheers,

Ian C

Re: [PROPOSAL] [DISCUSSION] Corinthia Abstract

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi

Posted by Ian C <ia...@amham.net>.
Hi All,

I am intrigued by this project. And will sign up once it becomes available
a real Apache project.

Same as for everyone, making time is the killer...

As something of an amusing sideline I created a document in Google Drive
and downloaded it as an odt. Looking inside, eeks, each word is in its own
span?
Opening and saving in OpenOffice seems to restore some sanity. I did the
same in docx ... This project will have its work cut out...

Even more interested now...

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 3:55 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org
> wrote:

> I put together an abstract in the Corinthia Podling Proposal.  It is a bit
> lengthy and requires review that it captures the essence of what Corinthia
> is for without over/under-stepping.
>
> Here is the text also added to <
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CorinthiaProposal>,
>
> """
> Corinthia converts among document file formats via transformation through
> an HTML-grounded intermediary.  The selection of document file formats is
> expandable by addition of import and export plugins.
>
> Editing in Corinthia is via a responsive editor, implemented in JavaScript
> and HTML (CSS), that works on the web, in the cloud, and also adapts across
> device form factors for practical use on mobile devices, tablets, and
> touch-enabled as well as keyboard-oriented interfaces.  Corinthia document
> viewing and editing is on the intermediate form, limited to common,
> widely-supported features. Corinthia is not a comprehensive substitute for
> format-specific authoring, editing, and final-form printing/production
> software.
>
> To avoid irreversible loss of features from imported documents, Corinthia
> encapsulates unsupported feature occurrences in a form that can be
> recovered from the intermediate as part of subsequent export to the same or
> different format.
>
> Identification and confirmation of inter-convertible features of different
> formats for dependable import and export involves development of extensive
> test documents in the different formats.  There is profiling of the extent
> to which standardized formats are supported in practice, with
> identification of deviations and implementation-dependent choices that
> impact convertibility.
>
> All of the Corinthia test cases, profiling, plugin development, libraries,
> and utilities are reusable resources to other projects.  All development of
> source-code for binaries is in portable C Language for multi-platform
> compilation as well as API "wrapping" for delivery to other programming
> models, such as for Python, .NET, Java, and Node.js.  Document format file
> import and export plugins may be adaptable as import-export extensions used
> with other document-processing software.
> """

Cheers,

Ian C