Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2009/12/14 00:45:01 UTC

Wookie in Wicket - finding a home

I've implemented the basics of a Wookie integration in Apache Wicket.
At present we have the ability to display a widget gallery, to
instantiate widgets and to display instantiations in Wicket pages.
This is far from complete, but works.

So this poses a question for me. Where should it live?

- It was written for an internal project (though open source) called
Simal. This is a project registry application, similar to
projects.apache.org Simal is Apache licensed and may well be proposed
to the ASF incubator at some time in the future. There is no reason
why it must stay there, but it will be cared for and extended for the
foreseeable future. I don't really see any significant advantage in
leaving it in Simal. This is a small project with minimal community
right now.

- It could go to the Wookie project itself. This may be a useful
exercise as I have made some design decisions to enable me to avoid
having Wookie as a dependency. This has resulted in some duplication
of code (i.e. Widget model) and, almost certainly, my code is not as
complete. The reason for this decision is to enable a very clean
separation between the Simal server and the Wookie server, allowing
for them to be running on different VMs. by bringing this work and
this requirement to Wookie we could use it as a test case for
separating out the appropriate classes into a separate module to allow
other Java implementations of "plugins" to use the same code (I'm
thinking of Arte's work with portals here).

- It could go to Wicket. I doubt wicket would accept it into core, it
would almost certainly go into their extensions project. However,
this would bring a reasonable amount of visibility to Wookie. whether
the Wicket community would have any use for widgets I don't know. I'm
happy to have that discussion with the Wicket community if folk here
think it might be a good move.

Any preferences/

Ross

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk