Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ruel Loehr <ru...@jboss.com> on 2005/11/07 23:40:15 UTC

[M2] dependency license management

We have a ginourmous number thirdparty dependencies.   One of the things
we need to accomplish is to keep track of the licenses that are
associated with the thirdparty dependencies to avoid any legal issues.

I was looking into the project-info-reports plugin, which, btw, makes my
heart flutter.  It's very cool, but doesn't look like something that
supports thirdparty licenses.

Question:
1)  Do any thirdparty lib license management plugins already exist?
2)  If not, are there any plans on the books to do so?

I am basically looking for sometype of report which summarizes the
spectrum of licenses used, and which dependencies use them.   This may
be a plugin I need to write.....

Ruel Loehr
JBoss QA

Re: [M2] dependency license management

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
On 11/8/05, Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> IMHO it could be a first step to add a License column in the Project
> Dependencies report.

We need to do something about this report. It's awfully cluttered
(perhaps just trimming the description a bit would be helpful?)

- Brett

RE: [M2] dependency license management

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

> The information is there (the POM can add it), and its a requirement
> on new POMs added to the repository by manual upload, though I'm sure

+1 for this feature

> there are quite a few gaps in the repository which we'd need to fill
> once this is analysed.
>
> At present, this is something we are interested in working on, but
> don't have any immediate plans to implement. It would be fairly
> similar to the dependencies report.

IMHO it could be a first step to add a License column in the Project
Dependencies report.

Cheers,

Vincent

Re: [M2] dependency license management

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
The information is there (the POM can add it), and its a requirement
on new POMs added to the repository by manual upload, though I'm sure
there are quite a few gaps in the repository which we'd need to fill
once this is analysed.

At present, this is something we are interested in working on, but
don't have any immediate plans to implement. It would be fairly
similar to the dependencies report.

Regards,
Brett