Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Krishna Rao <kr...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/31 16:45:54 UTC

(Unknown)

A particular query that I run fails with the following error:

***
Job 18: Map: 2  Reduce: 1   Cumulative CPU: 3.67 sec   HDFS Read: 0 HDFS
Write: 0 SUCCESS
Exception in thread "main"
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.counters.LimitExceededException: Too many
counters: 121 max=120
***

Googling suggests that I should increase "mapreduce.job.counters.limit".
And that the number of counters a job uses
has an effect on the memory used by the JobTracker, so I shouldn't increase
this number too high.

Is there a rule of thumb for what this number should be as a function of
JobTracker memory? That is should I be cautious and
increase by 5 at a time, or could I just double it?

Cheers,

Krishna

Re: Hive shows counters limit exeed

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Please read the netiquette to post on mailinglists. First good start is a Subject.

http://mapredit.blogspot.de/2012/12/hive-query-error-too-many-counters.html

- Alex

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz