Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Rohit Sureka <ro...@yahoo.com> on 2006/06/24 07:51:01 UTC

Auto calculation of price based on cost of material and labor.

hi,

i was curious if one could automatically calculate product price based on material and labor cost.

To give a better perspective of what i mean, i will brief about our products. We basically sell silverware and gold jewelry items. The price of the product is based on cost Silver and Gold, plus the labor charges to manufacture it which is a percentage of the metal price. Typical pricing method would be Gold price + 30%(just for illustration), this if metal costs are $100, the minimum sale price has to be $130 . Now bullion prices have been very volatile over the past few weeks. From $71 an ounce to $57 approx. This completely changes the pricing and cost structure and a store which has thousands of products, it would be a tiring task to manually update the prices of all products.

Therefore is it possible to define a material like gold, which price per ounce can be updated as frequently as needed. The product will have a feature denoting the metal weight, such that it calculates the cost of gold based on the metal weigth in the product and adds to it the labor price to fianlly arrive at the minimum sales price.

For e.g.

Standard metal rate is $50 per ounce.
Product X has 1/2 ounce of gold.
Thus the minimum product price is $50/2 * 1.30 = $32.5.

I think it is possible to do this in the standard ofbiz download, i.e. without modifying the code, but have not been able to figure out how to do it.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Thank you.

rohit

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Auto calculation of price based on cost of material and labor.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Rohit,

as suggested by BJ, you should create a bom (bill of materials) for each
of your finished products (ProductAssoc); then you should set the
materials' cost (CostComponent).Then you can automatically get the cost
of the finished product (CostComponent).

For #1: manufacturing-->bill of materials-->create bom
For #2 and #3: catalog-->product-->costs

There is nothing in place to move the cost generated from the
CostComponent entity to the ProductPrice entity: you'll have to write
some custom code there (pretty simple task).

For an example of how costs are setup, have a look at the demo product
"PROD_COST".

Hope this helps,

Jacopo

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
Rohit,

Because your data file source for costs, minimum sales
price, etc is going to be unique to each company (or
at the very least industry) there is no standardized
way to do this.  What you'll want to do is create a
service that will update the ProductPrice entity for
the product's minimum price, cost, etc.  Then, you can
create Price Rules based on a markup over cost.  That
service isn't going to be something that standardized
enough to be in the OFBiz project, I wouldn't think.

I have no real knowledge of what they're doing with
the BOM and manufacturing webapp, so as BJ says, there
may be a solution there as well.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Rohit Sureka <ro...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Daniel,

--
Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           DanielKunkel@BioWaves.com
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1