Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@shadyvale.net> on 2003/12/10 01:45:41 UTC

Commit memory usage

When many targets are specified, svn_client_commit chews through lots of
memory (~500 targets went through ~300MB of memory).  The attached patch
introduces a subpool into the offending loop and seems to pass cursory
testing.

Would someone mind reviewing it for correctness?  Feel free to
tweak/test/commit if it looks desirable -- I'm going to be slow to
respond for a couple of days.

I'm also investigating some heavy memory use on the server (svnserve)
and client (during update) when hundreds of files are deleted in one
commit, but I haven't repro'd it on HEAD yet -- hopefully by this
weekend I will have details if it repros on HEAD.

DJ

Re: Commit memory usage

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@shadyvale.net>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 20:49, D.J. Heap wrote:
>

>>svn up -- the client memory grows to huge amounts
>

> This looks like an important scalability bug.  Can you file it, so we
> don't forget about it?  Maybe someone can fix it this week.

Issue 1635 filed.

Re: Commit memory usage

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: Commit memory usage

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@shadyvale.net>.
D.J. Heap wrote:
[snip]
 > I'm also investigating some heavy memory use on the server (svnserve)
> and client (during update) when hundreds of files are deleted in one
> commit, but I haven't repro'd it on HEAD yet -- hopefully by this
> weekend I will have details if it repros on HEAD.
>
> DJ

I've just confirmed that these still reproduce on HEAD, but I won't have
time to dig into them further until this weekend.  Recipe below for
anyone interested.

Recipe running HEAD (r7968) svnserve and client on Windows:

create empty repo
check it out

copy lots of files into the root wc folder (no subdirs)
    (I used the files -- no subdirs -- from Apache's docs/manual
     directory and apr-iconv's ccs directory)

svn add *
svn commit
svn co to a secondary wc for later use
svn del *
svn commit -- without the above patch, both the client and the
               server memory grow to huge amounts; with the
               patch the client stays steady but the server still
               grows

cd to secondary wc