Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Mark Laffoon <ml...@semanticresearch.com> on 2010/09/28 16:59:53 UTC

Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89

We're using 0.20.6; we have a non-trivial application using many aspects
of hbase; we have a couple of customers in production; we understand this
is still pre-release, however we don't want to lose any data.

Will upgrading to 0.89 be a PITA?

Should we expect to be able to upgrade the servers without losing data?

Will there be tons of client code changes?

What about configuration changes (especially little changes that will bite
us)?

Do we need/want to upgrade hadoop at all (we're on 0.20.2)?

If we do upgrade, what is the recommended package to get it from?

Thanks in advance for any or all answers,

Mark

Re: Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>wrote:

> A working equivalent of sync() in HDFS, and support for it.
>
> See http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2010/07/whats-new-in-cdh3-b2-hbase/ ,
> especially: "HDFS improvements for HBase – along with the HDFS team at
> Facebook, we have contributed a number of important bug fixes and
> improvements for HDFS specifically to enable and improve HBase. These fixes
> include a working sync feature that allows full durability of every HBase
> edit, plus numerous performance and reliability fixes."
>
> You could also use the 0.20-append branch of ASF hadoop-common:
>
>  http://github.com/apache/hadoop-common/tree/branch-0.20-append

FYI the branch-0.20-append is missing several patches that are in CDH3b2 to
fix up append. I don't know of anyone actually using branch-0.20-append, so
it doesn't get the testing that CDH does.

but CDH3 offers other benefits, check out their blog.

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89

Posted by Renato Marroquín Mogrovejo <re...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

Renato M.

Re: Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
Somes patches that improve throughput for HBase, although you also
need a HBase-side patch (HBASE-2467). They also backported stuff from
0.21 that's never going to be in 0.20-append. That's our main reasons
to use CDh3b2.

J-D

Re: Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Re: Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89

Posted by Renato Marroquín Mogrovejo <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Re: Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
Ok, thank you, Ryan. I certainly can't claim a deep intrinsic knowledge on
GC, just read the Sun's GC guide which doesn't seem to draw that clear
distinction between full gc and tenured gen GC, and since then acted on
their examples given for figuring pause times -- which seem to refer to
tenured gen gc only, i guess.

Re: Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Re: Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89

Posted by Daniel Einspanjer <de...@mozilla.com>.

RE: Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89

Posted by "Buttler, David" <bu...@llnl.gov>.

Re: Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

RE: Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89

Posted by "Buttler, David" <bu...@llnl.gov>.
I have tried upgrading on one of my test clusters.  I can say that the code changes are relatively small and minor.  Things that I had to change:
1) how I was creating my Configuration objects -- using HBaseConfiguration.create() instead of new HBaseConfiguration()
2) how I was defining my column families in creating a table (since I wasn't just using the defaults)

I don't know about all of the little config changes that have bitten me and I haven't noticed yet.