Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Marco Aimar <ma...@foreach.it> on 2011/02/16 12:07:24 UTC

[users@httpd] long process

Hy,
I've this long process.

USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
wwwrun   29503 99.3  0.6 311160 27808 ?        R    Feb15 1151:58 /usr/sbin/httpd2-prefork -f /etc/apache2/httpd.conf -DSSL

It use high cpu from many hours.
How I can see which it a causes/script which running?

which netstat I see which this process it's in CLOSE_WAIT
tcp        0      0 ::1:51504               ::1:143                 CLOSE_WAIT  29503/httpd2-prefor

Thank you for help me, Marco

RE: [users@httpd] long process

Posted by Gary Smith <ga...@holdstead.com>.

> Il giorno 17/feb/2011, alle ore 14:14, Igor Galić ha scritto:
> > Ah. 143 -- I thought I had seen 443 before.. whoops.
> > So, forget that part about internal dummy connection.
> >
> > Anyway: What happens when you kill off that process?
>
> If I kill that process nothing happens. The process end and apache work
> normally.
> Apache bug?

You said PHP. What's the PHP execution timeout value in the php.ini. I had ran into a case where we tweaked it real high on a dev box (5m seconds) and we had a process, though somewhat idle, that never finished. The connection was disconnected but the thread didn't go away. We only discovered it when all threads were in use. In our case it was a web service that accepted some data and was supposed to do processing, which should have finished in a few seconds.

Just a thought.

Re: [users@httpd] long process

Posted by Marco Aimar <ma...@foreach.it>.

Re: [users@httpd] long process

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.
> This server it's used like web server for php pages and webmail which
> open imap locally.
> I think which problem could be a webmail+imap beacause netstat report
> port 143 but I'm not sure.
>

> >> which netstat I see which this process it's in CLOSE_WAIT
> >> tcp        0      0 ::1:51504               ::1:143
> >>                CLOSE_WAIT  29503/httpd2-prefor
> >
> > This on the other hand is more interesting.
> > Has this been there for as long as the process?
> >

> Yes. After one day netstat have same output
> tcp        0      0 ::1:51504               ::1:143
>                 CLOSE_WAIT  29503/httpd2-prefor
>
> > Also note that the connection IP is ::1 -- could this
> > just be the internal dummy connection? Or is this you?
> I don't know if it's one my php script of one internal dummy
> connection. How I can verify this?

Ah. 143 -- I thought I had seen 443 before.. whoops.
So, forget that part about internal dummy connection.

Anyway: What happens when you kill off that process?

> Thank you and sorry for my English, Marco

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: [users@httpd] long process

Posted by Marco Aimar <ma...@foreach.it>.

Parent process it's alive.
This long process it's up from 2575 minutes.

>> It use high cpu from many hours.
>> How I can see which it a causes/script which running?
>
> What does strace say?
> What does mod_status say?
>
> What is the server doing in general which would give us a hint of
> what *could* be going on? -- Does it proxy? Run CGI? mod_php?
> Does it serve and receive Dav on an SSL line, handling gzip
> inflate  and deflate? etc....
>
> Please realize that Apache httpd is a multipurpose server. So
> a `ps` line doesn't tell us *anything* about what it's doing.

If I run this command
#strace -p 29503
the output it's this
>>Process 29503 attached - interrupt to quit
and not change after 1 hours (seems to do nothing).

mod_status now is not enabled and If I would enable, I do restart and kill the process.
Loaded Modules:
 core_module (static)
 mpm_prefork_module (static)
 http_module (static)
 so_module (static)
 actions_module (shared)
 alias_module (shared)
 auth_basic_module (shared)
 authn_file_module (shared)
 authz_host_module (shared)
 authz_groupfile_module (shared)
 authz_default_module (shared)
 authz_user_module (shared)
 autoindex_module (shared)
 cgi_module (shared)
 dir_module (shared)
 env_module (shared)
 expires_module (shared)
 include_module (shared)
 log_config_module (shared)
 mime_module (shared)
 negotiation_module (shared)
 setenvif_module (shared)
 ssl_module (shared)
 userdir_module (shared)
 php5_module (shared)
 deflate_module (shared)
 rewrite_module (shared)

Re: [users@httpd] long process

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME
> COMMAND
> wwwrun   29503 99.3  0.6 311160 27808 ?        R    Feb15 1151:58
> /usr/sbin/httpd2-prefork -f /etc/apache2/httpd.conf -DSSL

What does long process mean?
Is the command line too long? Or do you mean that the process has been running
for too long now? 2 days isn't particularly long if this were the *parent*
process. If it isn't well.. that's a different case.

> It use high cpu from many hours.
> How I can see which it a causes/script which running?

What does strace say?
What does mod_status say?

What is the server doing in general which would give us a hint of
what *could* be going on? -- Does it proxy? Run CGI? mod_php?
Does it serve and receive Dav on an SSL line, handling gzip
inflate  and deflate? etc....

Please realize that Apache httpd is a multipurpose server. So
a `ps` line doesn't tell us *anything* about what it's doing.

> which netstat I see which this process it's in CLOSE_WAIT
> tcp        0      0 ::1:51504               ::1:143
>                 CLOSE_WAIT  29503/httpd2-prefor

This on the other hand is more interesting.
Has this been there for as long as the process?

Also note that the connection IP is ::1 -- could this
just be the internal dummy connection? Or is this you?

Again: What does mod_status say?

> Thank you for help me, Marco

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883