Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> on 2004/06/01 02:40:25 UTC

Re: RFC: Hash dumps in sorted order

Julian Foad wrote:

> C. Michael Pilato wrote:
>
>> Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> writes:
>>
>>> Seriously, I'm just trying to keep the door open for the future.
>>> Branko's "path look up table" thread is what got me thinking about it,
>>> but (as I mentioned in that thread) I don't see any immediate big
>>> performance wins coming from speeding up single-path directory
>>> lookups.
>>

>> Actually, it should improve the diff-ability of dumpfiles (and working
>> copy admin areas, for debuggability purposes), at the very least.
>> +1 on predictable behavior. :-)
>

> Fantastic!  Methinks now is the time to chip in with my patch to make
> Subversion's user-visible operations proceed in sorted order.  In
> particular, I want "svn status" output to be sorted (without piping it
> through a "sort" filter, because that removes streaminess) so that I
> can read it and find things in it (by eye) more easily, and "svn diff"
> output to be sorted so I can meaningfully compare one patch file with
> another similar one.  A separate thread will blink into existence.

Well, the easiest way to make the repository-side operations sorted is
by sorting the directories in the repo, and the easiest way to do that
is by putting them into a path-l^H^H^H^H^H^H er, sorted index... :-)

Re: RFC: Hash dumps in sorted order

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 22:56, Branko Čibej wrote:
> But not streamy...

We're essentially never streamy when it comes to directories, and
delta_dirs() is no exception (either in the old implementation or the
new one).  We read all the source and target directory entries into
hashes, iterate over the target hash, and look up corresponding entries
in the source hash.

So, you can chalk up streamy directory comparisons as a potential
benefit of the path lookup table (although simply writing out the
directories in sorted order might accomplish the same thing), but it's
irrelevant to producing sorted output.

Re: RFC: Hash dumps in sorted order

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Greg Hudson wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 22:40, Branko Čibej wrote:
>

>>Well, the easiest way to make the repository-side operations sorted is
>>by sorting the directories in the repo, and the easiest way to do that
>>is by putting them into a path-l^H^H^H^H^H^H er, sorted index... :-)
>>

>Sorry, not even a little bit.  Sorting the result of
>svn_fs_dir_entries() is the easiest part.

But not streamy...

Aargh. We'll obviously go back and forth on this issue until somebody
(me?) actually implements the lookup table and comes up with numbers.
Let's drop it until then.

Re: RFC: Hash dumps in sorted order

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.