Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/03 05:49:36 UTC

Re: ClassLoading information

Just some thoughts between nappy changes :-)

I seem to remember seeing the actual exception creation time being an
issue when profiling the code a while ago.  I think it may be due to the
generation of the stack trace.

It would be interesting to see how much of a performance improvement you
would get if you reused exception objects rather than creating a new
exception object each time a class is not found.  The problem with
reusing exceptions is that the stack trace isn't going to be correct.

Maybe we could have an optimization that doesn't have the stack trace or
some partial stack information by instantiating a subclass of the
ClassNotFoundException that overrides the fillInStackTrace() method
(which is called by the Throwable constructor) and possibly calls the
setStackTrace method.

You would want the ability to turn this optimization on or off.  I the
optimization should be off by default, as it should be up to the user to
decide whether they want to live with less information to debug the
exception.

Regards,
John