Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Rodney Schneider <ro...@actf.com.au> on 2002/09/11 07:39:45 UTC

Re: Velocity Macro can,t find value of java objects

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 00:19, you wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> I was trying the velocity site example from TDK How to document.

That is the Velocity Site Howto you are reading and I don't think it explains
things very thoroughly and is perhaps even a little out of date:
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/howto/velocity-site-howto.html
It serves as more of an introduction document to the Turbine/Velocity
combination, but is not a great tutorial.

The best way to get started with Turbine is to read this document, the TDK
Howto:
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/tdk/tdk-howto.html

> I have a HelloWorld.class file in the classes directory and a
> HelloWorld.vm file in the screens directory.
>
> In side this HelloWorld.java file I have a java.util.Date object which
> is put in the velocity context.
>
> But when I execute the vm file the the $date variable is shown as it is
> on the screen .i.e the template is not able to get the value of $date
> from the java application.

Check the turbine.log file and the velocity.log file in the "logs" directory
of your webapp.  Are there any exceptions or errors in the logs?

Regards,

-- Rodney