Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Iwasso 80s <iw...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/29 20:45:47 UTC

[users@httpd] Strange Mod_python/keep-alive(?) Problem

We've been experiencing some very strange problems with
Apache/Mod_python.  After posting some messages to the mod_python
group, it's still not clear to us whether this is Mod_python or an
Apache (or something in-between) problem.  Here's the deal, using some
variants of IE (on Windows 98, Server 2003) and Safari (OS X 10.3).
If you aggressively click around our site one of two things will often
happen: the body of
the page will return "0" as the entire result set of the request; or
it will return "0" followed by what appears to be the header data (see
attached gif).  All other requests will return quickly and without
errors.

Some interesting data points:

If we reduce the keep-alive settings on Apache it seems to get worse
(meaning more likely to respond with a "0") and if disable it happens
almost constantly.  However, if we increase the keep-alive setting to
say around 15 seconds and aggressively click around the site, the
Apache server will become unresponsive.  I'm assuming all the procs
are getting used up before the keep-alive on available procs has
expired (although, that behavior seems fishy as well).  Throughout all
of these tests the cpu, io, etc is only marginally taxed and no errors
are reported in the error log.  We set up a super simple testing page,
with no db, etc and the problem still persists.

Our config:

Debian Etch (fully updated)
 Apache 2.0.54
 Python 2.3
 Mod_python 3.1
 Clearsilver .9 (but we aren't using cgi functionality)

In addition we're getting very strange data output into the response stream.

Here's an example from a "good" request.

START OF DOCUMENT:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:07:44 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux)
Pragma: no-cache
Cache-Control: no-cache
Expires: -1
Keep-Alive: timeout=7, max=29
Connection: Keep-Alive
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

1

144d

END OF DOCUMENT:

1

0

Notice the 1's and 0's as well as the "144d" between the header and
the html body.  Is this some kind of strange character encoding
problem?

We'd really appreciate any help we could get.

Thanks in advance for your patience and consideration.

Re: [users@httpd] Strange Mod_python/keep-alive(?) Problem

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 9/29/05, Iwasso 80s <iw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Transfer-Encoding: chunked

> Notice the 1's and 0's as well as the "144d" between the header and
> the html body.  Is this some kind of strange character encoding
> problem?

What you are seeing is the chunk headers from the chunked transfer encoding.

I can't explain why your browser would be showing you those.

Joshua.