Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Stefan Comanita <co...@yahoo.com> on 2011/01/13 16:59:43 UTC

decompressing the data stroed in a compressed HBase table

Hi,

we are storing data in HBase (which in turn writes to HDFS) to a table that has LZO compression enabled, my questions the following: if we have some data stored in that table, and for any reason we decide to abandon the idea of compressing data how can we uncompress the already compressed data ? Altering the table by removing the compression will do any good ? reading the table and writing to a new uncompressed table ? doing a map-reduce job and uncompressing the data ?! are there any suggested techniques for this scenario ?

Thank you.

Comanita Stefan

RE: decompressing the data stroed in a compressed HBase table

Posted by "Buttler, David" <bu...@llnl.gov>.
All you should have to do is disable the table and modify the table schema to change compression to NONE.  Then, re-enable the table and either force a major compaction, or wait until one happens naturally.

Dave