Posted to users@maven.apache.org by aman kohli <ak...@hp.com> on 2008/10/09 11:16:39 UTC

Generate list of plugins and their versions used in a build

Hi,

For a build, I need to generate the plugins used and their versions.
Is there a way to do this?  Ideally something as simple as the
effective-pom mechanism would be great.

One mechanism would be to to use the plugin-registry, if there is a
way to auto generate that.
        http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-plugin-registry.html

thanks

        -- aman

Re: Generate list of plugins and their versions used in a build

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.
I can't believe you said that. :-/

Just fork the mojo and actually write the output to a file or even better
patch the help plugin to 'attach' its output to the artifact.

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 23:03:37 Nick Stolwijk wrote:
> Couldn't you parse the output of mvn help:effective-pom? Or do you
> need another format? Maybe it could be another goal on the help
> plugin.
>
> What is your use case and what do you need?
>
> Nick Stolwijk
> ~Java Developer~
>
> Iprofs BV.
> Claus Sluterweg 125
> 2012 WS Haarlem
> www.iprofs.nl
>
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org> wrote:
> > mvn help:effective-pom
> >
> > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 22:16:39 aman kohli wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> For a build, I need to generate the plugins used and their versions.
> >> Is there a way to do this?  Ideally something as simple as the
> >> effective-pom mechanism would be great.
> >>
> >> One mechanism would be to to use the plugin-registry, if there is a
> >> way to auto generate that.
> >>
> >> http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-plugin-regis
> >>try .html
> >>
> >> thanks
> >>
> >>         -- aman
> >
> > --
> > Michael McCallum
> > Enterprise Engineer
> > mailto:gholam@apache.org

Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer
mailto:gholam@apache.org

Re: Generate list of plugins and their versions used in a build

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by aman kohli <ak...@hp.com>.
>> So what we need to do is put together a list of all the components that
went
>> into a build (so all the supporting maven plugins)

> Then I don't quite understand why the output of mvn help:effective-pom
> isn't what you need.

> Unless... you don't have the site plugin version locked down somewhere
> in your pom hierarchy?

no, we don't lock it down in the pom, maybe we should.  effective-pom is not
showing the site plugin version.  Anyway we ideally need to get a deep list
of the plugins and their dependencies.  I am guessing a custom mojo will be
required for this.

> If you're using Maven 2.0.9 or later, it should be there as it's in
> pluginManagement in the super pom.  Of course, that means you have to

not using 2.0.9 and we will be looking at moving across to it.

thanks for your help!

-- aman

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 3:06 PM, aman kohli <ak...@hp.com> wrote:

> So what we need to do is put together a list of all the components that went
> into a build (so all the supporting maven plugins)

Then I don't quite understand why the output of mvn help:effective-pom
isn't what you need.

Unless... you don't have the site plugin version locked down somewhere
in your pom hierarchy?

If you're using Maven 2.0.9 or later, it should be there as it's in
pluginManagement in the super pom.  Of course, that means you have to
use Maven 2.0.9 again later if you want to reproduce the build.  You
can get a bit closer by locking down plugin versions in your own
organization level parent pom, so things change less if you switch
Maven versions.

--
Wendy

Re: Generate list of plugins and their versions used in a build

Posted by aman kohli <ak...@hp.com>.
So what we need to do is put together a list of all the components that went
into a build (so all the supporting maven plugins) this allows a couple of
things:

* reproducability of the build environment [this is required to help us
re-construct a build]
* knowing what went into a build so if a later plugin breaks we know a good
roll back point : this happened to us with a site plugin and it took a lot
of work to find a previous version that worked.

hth and thanks!

-- aman

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by aman kohli <ak...@hp.com>.
Thanks for the responses.  Unfortunately 'mvn help:effective-pom' does not
quite do what we need it to.  Here's an example, trying to get a list of
all the site plugins and their versions used is a challenge as this is not
covered by effective-pom.

Doing mvn -cpu and groking the output would be one way to get this I guess.

thanks!

-- aman

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.
mvn help:effective-pom