Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/12 03:00:54 UTC

Re: Simplifying our documentation

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 11:09 AM Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org> wrote:
> Nathan Hartman wrote in thread "Change to Subversion PMC rule for
> approving backports":
> > Julian Foad wrote:
> >> I strongly urge that we simplify any and all of our documentation at
any
> >> opportunity. Nearly all of it is much too long. It would be much better
> >> to state the facts in a few bullet points, and move the discussion of
> >> rationale and history to a dedicated subsection so readers just wanting
> >> the facts can easily skip that part.
> >
> > Which document would you consider most important to fix the soonest?
>
> In line with current transition to emphasise stabilization and
> availability, I suppose these user-facing docs should take priority:
>
>    * finding/downloading/installing svn from *binaries*:
>      - http://subversion.apache.org/packages
>
>    * how to contact us; reduce/combine some of these?
>      - http://subversion.apache.org/reporting-issues
>      - http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/issues
>      - http://subversion.apache.org/faq#more-information
>      - http://subversion.apache.org/security/
>
>    * and the home page should make those things extremely easy to find:
>      - http://subversion.apache.org/
>
> If you or anyone wants to help, I think any of those would be an
> excellent place to do so.
>
> The various contact info is particularly scattered, and pointers often
> state "users@" email with no hint of the IRC/Matrix alternative. Could
> we make a good "contact us" landing page which directs users
> appropriately to all forms of contact?

I've been studying the site and there is a site-ng branch created 2015. I
remember a discussion about it around that time but I can't find it in the
archives now.

Since there are no commits on site-ng beyond branch creation / readme,
would it be agreeable if I catch it up to the present and use it?

Re: Simplifying our documentation

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 8:18 AM Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 13.09.2019 14:16, Nathan Hartman wrote:
>> If there are no objections I'll remove site-ng and create a branch
>> from staging called staging-ng. I think it should be under site,
>> adjacent to staging and publish, and not under subversion root?
>
> Yes, that's correct.

Deleted site-ng in r1866904.

Added site/staging-ng in r1866905.

Re: Simplifying our documentation

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 11:56 AM Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:

> Nathan Hartman wrote on Sun, 29 Sep 2019 15:48 +00:00:
> > html5boilerplate is under a MIT license:
> > https://github.com/h5bp/html5-boilerplate/blob/master/LICENSE.txt
> >
> > Can this (or snippets from it) be used for Subversion's website?
>
> Yes.  https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#category-a

Thank you.

Re: Simplifying our documentation

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 9:40 AM Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Deleted site-ng in r1866904.
>
> Added site/staging-ng in r1866905.Regarding the site/staging-ng branch:

Regarding the site/staging-ng branch:

In the past, I've used two files from html5boilerplate.com:
normalize.css and main.css for other projects.

html5boilerplate is under a MIT license:
https://github.com/h5bp/html5-boilerplate/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

Can this (or snippets from it) be used for Subversion's website?

(Asking because one of my objectives is better display on mobile.)

Matrix [was: Simplifying our documentation]

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.
Nathan Hartman wrote:
>     Are you on Matrix or IRC? [...]
>
> Haven't reached my desk yet today. I'm emailing from my phone. :-)
>
>     <https://matrix.to/#/%23freenode_%23svn-dev:matrix.org>

No problem: these Matrix clients work well on mobile:

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=im.vector.alpha
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=im.vector.app

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vector.im/id1083446067

- Julian

Re: Simplifying our documentation

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@foad.me.uk>.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@foad.me.uk>.

Sent with  FairEmail [https://email.faircode.eu/]  , an open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

Re: Simplifying our documentation

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:45 PM Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 13.09.2019 04:18, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 3:12 AM Branko Čibej <brane@apache.org
> > <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 12.09.2019 05:00, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> >     > I've been studying the site and there is a site-ng branch created
> >     > 2015. I remember a discussion about it around that time but I can't
> >     > find it in the archives now.
> >     >
> >     > Since there are no commits on site-ng beyond branch creation /
> >     readme,
> >     > would it be agreeable if I catch it up to the present and use it?
> >
> >     site-ng was a misguided attempt at changing how our site
> >     implementation
> >     works (from server-side includes to generated static pages). If we
> >     ever
> >     do that overhaul, we'll probably use the new templating automation
> >     that
> >     Infra is working on.
> >
> >     I'd prefer to *delete* the site-ng branch. The staging branch is
> there
> >     for preparing content changes.
> >
> >     -- Brane
> >

> > I know about staging and it's convenient that it's served. But I'd
> > like to experiment without worrying about breaking things. I hope to
> > achieve three things:
> >
> > * Reorganize the information so visitors find what they want with
> > minimal reading and searching
> >
> > * A more modern look
> >
> > * Improve display on mobile phones
> >
> > I'd like to emphasize that I am *not* thinking about changing the
> > implementation (SSI vs something else) at this time. Nor am I thinking
> > about removing or rewriting the text. The information we have on the
> > site is good and thorough. I just want to reorganize it and make a
> > good first impression on visitors with an attractive home page -- and
> > make sure we're all happy with it before it moves to staging.
>
> Oh, then sure, either use site-ng or create another branch, whatever
> suits you best. The only (minor) issue is that you'll have to cook up a
> local server for testing. Or of course we could ask Infra nicely to
> publish yet another branch of our site.
>
> -- Brane

That's the easy part. I have a virtual machine with a LAMP stack. :-)

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 3:12 AM Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 12.09.2019 05:00, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> > I've been studying the site and there is a site-ng branch created
> > 2015. I remember a discussion about it around that time but I can't
> > find it in the archives now.
> >
> > Since there are no commits on site-ng beyond branch creation / readme,
> > would it be agreeable if I catch it up to the present and use it?
>
> site-ng was a misguided attempt at changing how our site implementation
> works (from server-side includes to generated static pages). If we ever
> do that overhaul, we'll probably use the new templating automation that
> Infra is working on.
>
> I'd prefer to *delete* the site-ng branch. The staging branch is there
> for preparing content changes.
>
> -- Brane

I know about staging and it's convenient that it's served. But I'd like to
experiment without worrying about breaking things. I hope to achieve three
things:

* Reorganize the information so visitors find what they want with minimal
reading and searching

* A more modern look

* Improve display on mobile phones

I'd like to emphasize that I am *not* thinking about changing the
implementation (SSI vs something else) at this time. Nor am I thinking
about removing or rewriting the text. The information we have on the site
is good and thorough. I just want to reorganize it and make a good first
impression on visitors with an attractive home page -- and make sure we're
all happy with it before it moves to staging.

Thoughts?

Re: Simplifying our documentation

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.
Nathan Hartman wrote:
> I've been studying the site and there is a site-ng branch created 2015. I remember a discussion about it around that time but I can't find it in the archives now.
> Since there are no commits on site-ng beyond branch creation / readme, would it be agreeable if I catch it up to the present and use it?

It would be better to use the site/staging branch which you can find alongside site/publish and which is served at http://subversion-staging.apache.org

- Julian